Hamilton , ON
Are you looking for a career? The railroad is one of the oldest industries. We are prepared to train you on becoming a Carman. You are paid during your training in this field - Starting wage at $22.45 and once you become a qualified Carman you wage increase to $28.71. If you like working with tools and fixing things. This job can be for you.
What does a Carman Helper do?
The Carman Helper is responsible for the maintenance and repairs of rail cars and their components, they will receive on-the-job training.
The selected candidate will perform the following functions:
- Total commitment and focus on safety in the workplace.
- Inspects car components for compliance with AAR, FRA and customer requirements and standards.
- Performs all scheduled, on-request, and preventative maintenance and repairs on all types of railcars as identified by the Railcare work order. This includes, but is not limited to, maintenance, repairs, and component replacements of;
- Car Body
- Load restraining devices
- Roofs and hatch covers
- Boxcar doors and tracks
- Brake system and related components
- Safe operations of oxy/gas torches, hand tools, pneumatic tools, hydraulic tools, electric and battery operated tools, jacks, lift truck, skid steer, mobile crane, overhead cranes, welding machines, company vehicles, etc.
- Repairs, removes or replaces components with the use of the correct, and appropriate tools and equipment required for the task.
- Completing all required paperwork in the course of railcar repairs.
- Safe and proper use of Blue Flags and Derails.
- Mobile repairs, as required.
- Cleaning the shop and facilities as required.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Must possess a high school diploma or GED.
- Frequent bending, stooping, squatting, kneeling, performing overhead work, lifting/carrying up to 50 pounds (22kg) and occasionally up to 85 pounds (39kg).
- Be physically and mentally able to work at heights up to 30 feet (9.25m).
- Possess a good grasp of the English language, including good reading and writing skills.
- Possess a basic knowledge and familiarity with hand tools, pneumatic tools, hydraulic tools, electric and battery operated tools, and other equipment.
- Work indoors and outdoors in varying weather and environmental conditions.
- Must possess a valid driver’s license.
Other working conditions: Vacation, benefits and paid holidays are based on the company’s policies.
If you have the skills and experience required for this position, please forward your resume to: