Engineering and Technical Design Outsourcing Manager
Scarborough , ON
For over 40 years, Array Marketing has been a global leader in the retail display and in-store merchandising services industry. Global brands like Estée Lauder, Sephora, L'Oreal and Samsung to name a few, rely on our team of more than 2,000 employees around the world, to create great retail experiences by bringing their visions to life.
We are committed to building on more than four decades of strength, deep industry knowledge and design innovation to accelerate our growth and serve our customers even better than before.
As we continue to expand around the world, we are looking for critical thinkers who are data driven, have a strong work ethic and care about best practices and customer outcomes to help us carry out our vision.
Join Array to make a mark on our business and grow your career.
Who we need
Reporting to the Director of Industrial Design, we are seeking an Engineering and Technical Design Outsourcing Manager to lead a collaborative multi-talented group. You will play a critical role by bringing equal parts creative esthetics and sensibility along with engineering discipline and Design-for-Manufacturing expertise to support Business Unit Project objectives, mentor staff, and advance the goals of the Chapter. You will inspire the team to add value, think innovatively, and deliver the best-in-class execution of all Engineering and Technical Design tasks.
What's in it for you
Influence. You may be a senior industrial designer coaching team members or you may be a lead engineer with an exceptionally creative flair; either way, you want to expand your influence as a people leader. You want to guide the work of a cross-functional team of designers and technicians working on customized industrial designs and products for some of the biggest brands in the world. You want to make your mark in a highly visible role where you will have the opportunity to be innovative and creative, to work strategically and prioritize sustainability while meeting the continuing demands of Design-For-Cost / Manufacturing.
Impact. Whether you are coming directly from this industry or you are excited to take on a new challenge, this is an opportunity to be a catalyst of change, bringing our instruction sheets from paper to interactive 3D digital ones. You want to play a key role enabling exceptional outsourcing by building stronger relationships with current partners, forging new relationships with art houses and design firms, and introducing stringent standardization requirements.
- Lead. You will guide the work of Engineer Technologists, Digital/Technical Illustrators, Desktop Publishing Designers, and 3d Visualizers. You will foster a creative and collaborative environment, supporting the growth of your team. You will develop the team's collective capabilities and expertise while socializing best practices. You will prioritize health and safety for yourself, your team, and your colleagues.
- Direct and oversee all phases of engineering. You will apply value analysis/value engineering for problem-solving and make it a cornerstone of the engineering phase. You will review, approve, and disseminate the product data management (PDM) requirements, Datacard for custom properties, Bill of Materials, and Engineering Package for accuracy and completeness at the Prototype Development and Production phases. You will ensure on-time execution of milestone dates. You will perform failure analysis and solutioning to improve product design and prevent the recurrence of product design-related issues.
- Champion quality and continuous improvements. You will audit SOP compliance and recommend measures to improve process methods, team performance and quality of work. You will motivate and influence the team to attain performance excellence and ensure the format of deliverables and presentation quality align with standards. You will advocate the "Array Way" across all BUs and geographical locations, welcome idea sharing, provide and receive feedback, and encourage innovative solutions and creative exploration to address design for manufacturability.
- Collaborate. You will work directly with Account Managers, Project Managers, clients, and manufacturing partners to meet project needs, add value, lead brainstorming sessions, and develop ideas. You will work with the Resource Analyst to build tools and processes to monitor and optimize workload. You will work with BU Leaders and the Chapter COE to create strategic solutions that will enable us to meet the continuing demands of Design For Cost and Manufacturing (DFM/ DFC).
- The experience. You have a Mechanical or Industrial Design background and experience as a Designer in POP/Retail Design. You have an excellent understanding of materials and processes commonly used within the industry and can successfully interpret and apply design requirements and procedures to meet client business objectives.
- The technical skills. You are proficient with design development software, including CAD, MS Office Suite, and using databases. You can read and understand design briefs, process documents, operation materials, and reports. You can quickly come up to speed on new technologies.
- The ownership. You are results-driven, with sound judgment. You are detail-oriented with strong organizational and time management skills. You hold yourself accountable as a contributing member in a team environment.
- The interpersonal skills. You have professional written and verbal communication skills. You can build trusting relationships with team members, vendors, customers, and leaders. You can guide the work of a team, fostering collaboration. You embrace continuous change and exhibit adaptability to work within realistic deadlines.
What you can expect from the interview process:
- A virtual interview with a Talent Advisor discussing your interest in the role, the team’s culture and how you will make an impact as our new Outsourcing Manager.
- A virtual interview with the Director Of Industrial Design to learn about the strategic deliverables for the role and share your insights and best practices in fostering innovation, sustainability and efficiency. You will have an opportunity to ask questions and learn what it’s like to be part of Array.
Diversity, equity and inclusion are a critical component of life at Array Marketing and we are committed to making these values an integral part of our culture. We encourage applications from all qualified applicants, including women, persons with disabilities, Black, Indigenous, and People of Colour (BIPOC), people from the Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Transsexual, Queer, Questioning, Two-Spirit, Intersex, Asexual + (LGBTQ2SIA+) community, and other equity-seeking groups.
Array Marketing is committed to providing accessible employment practices that are in compliance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act ('AODA'). If you require accommodation, please notify our HR team at firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you have the skills and experience required for this position, please forward your resume to: