General Manager, Planning and Development Services
Calgary , AB
About the City of Calgary
If you are committed to public service, enjoy collaborating with others, share our values, and have a desire to learn and grow, join The City of Calgary. City employees deliver the services, run the programs, and operate the facilities which make a difference in our community. We support work-life balance, promote physical and psychological safety, and offer competitive wages, pensions, and benefits. Together we make Calgary a great place to make a living, a great place to make a life.
The City is committed to fostering a respectful, inclusive and equitable workplace which is representative of the community we serve. We welcome those who have demonstrated a commitment to upholding the values of equity, diversity, inclusion, anti-racism and reconciliation. Applications are encouraged from members of groups that are historically disadvantaged and underrepresented. Accommodations are available during the hiring process, upon request.
About the General Manager, Planning and Development Services
Reporting to the Chief Operating Officer (COO), the General Manager of Planning and Development Services is accountable for and oversees the strategic and operational management of the department. In collaboration with other members of the Executive Leadership Team (ELT), the General Manager develops strategic plans, enabling the effective execution of Council priorities and services to the citizens of Calgary. This role provides expert advice and expertise to City Council, including participating in applicable committee meetings. This department leads multiple exciting initiatives such as: the Calgary Climate Strategy, Calgary’s Greater Downtown Plan, and collaborative community planning, with 30 Local Area Plans in development.
The Department of Planning and Development Services imagines, develops, executes and stewards long-range, integrated, and sustainable plans for the City’s growth and renewal. Their mission is “To imagine and plan a great City”. They do this by:
- Driving policies that guide long-term planning.
- Setting parameters for land development processes.
- Integrating strategies and actions to grow a resilient and sustainable city.
- Enabling businesses to open and operate.
- Ensuring Calgary’s buildings are safe to occupy.
The General Manager enables these initiatives by providing inclusive leadership, strategic oversight, management and direction to the following Business Units: Downtown Strategy, Climate and Environment, City and Regional Planning, Community Planning, Development, Business and Building Services.
The following are some of the essential functions of this role:
- Nurtures and fosters an inclusive leadership approach that promotes equity, diversity and inclusion; psychological and physical safety; health and wellness.
- Provides vision, strategic leadership, and direction to the management team in managing departmental operations, policies and challenges related to the effective and responsive delivery of programs and services to Calgary residents. These programs include planning services and all functions on the planning and approvals continuum.
- Identifies opportunities for synergies and streamlines functions to create more operational flexibility.
- Works with the Chief Operating Officer, City Manager and Council to identify short- and long-term strategic priorities, aligned with corporate strategy.
- Ensures the development, maintenance, and reporting of annual and long-term strategic business plans, at both department and business unit level. These plans must align with corporate strategy and include key performance indicators relevant to business outcomes.
- Ensures that the strategy as described above incorporates buildings, open spaces, transportation corridors, landscaping, architecture, public facilities, commercial development, and other elements all integrate to build livable, complete communities.
- Acts as the primary Planning and Development advisor to Council and Council committees, providing recommendations and input to Council public hearing meetings, Calgary Planning Commission meetings, and having direct connections with Mayor and Council member offices.
- Ensures the provision of all urban planning and development services, advice and associated accountability to customers, businesses, Council and general public. Services provided range from regional planning; Calgary development and building policies; enabling implementation of building and business occupancy; through to post-occupancy development, business and building issues.
- Promotes consultations with key parties such as landowners, developers, builders, government bodies, residents, business owners and others.
- Oversees licensing and inspection services for neighborhoods and buildings, for safety and quality.
- Oversees the departmental operating budget, ensuring compliant, effective financial management.