Senior Underwriting Customer Service Representative
Burnaby , BC
August 28, 2022
Who we are
At Canadian Premier, everything we do is driven by our genuine desire to build connections with our customers – listening, reflecting, responding – and being there for them during the most trying times of their lives. To be the best at what we do, we look for compassionate, creative people who work efficiently, aren't afraid to make decisions, and are driven to understand how their role fits into our vision; to be the innovative insurer trusted by families to provide financial protection through partners who care.
For more than 60 years, Canadian Premier has been committed to providing financial security to Canadians and their families in the face of uncertainties, insuring over two million customers coast-to-coast. Every day at Canadian Premier means a day spent helping Canadians and their families build secure tomorrows.
Headquartered in Toronto, Ontario, with an office in Burnaby, British Columbia, we are a wholly owned and independently operated subsidiary of Securian Financial, a Fortune 500 company*.
Who we need
Reporting to the Underwriting Manager & Insurance Business Systems Analyst, we are looking for a Senior Underwriting Customer Service Representative. You will provide first-level support for customer queries regarding underwriting decisions for insurance applications from applicants, credit union partners, account executives and vendors. You will act as a backup to new product and client implementation processes as needed. In addition, you will handle outgoing correspondence for the Underwriting Department and support the application as it goes through the approval process, acting as a liaison with credit union partners, account executives and vendors.
*This is an onsite position for at least six months, with the possibility of transitioning into a hybrid model (one week onsite, one week remotely).
What's in it for you
Exposure, experience, and impact. This is an opportunity to channel your empathy, attention to detail, and customer service skills towards growing a career in Underwriting. You will gain business acumen, insurance expertise, and technical knowledge at a scaling company. You will report to a manager who believes in coaching and can provide hands-on guidance and support as someone who started in that role. At Canadian Premier, we foster a culture of inclusion and growth, where everyone can voice an idea and be part of our success. You will have the chance to voice your opinion on process improvements and be cross trained on new products and systems, supporting projects as needed. If you are willing to wear multiple hats, build on your strengths, and develop new skills, we will provide you with the opportunities to learn and grow your career.
What you will do
- Respond to underwriting queries. You will handle customer inquiries as directed from applicants, accounts, agent/account reps and medical vendors about the status of the application, reasons for additional information and reasons for decision made on the application.
- Make outgoing calls. You will be responsible for contacting applicants on case files that are set to be closed to conserve the application process that was previously started. You will prioritize a positive customer experience and use patience, empathy, and plain language to translate and articulate underwriter notes and explain what requirements are outstanding in order to proceed.
- Be a new product and client liaison: You will provide assistance to home office systems setup (rates, product rules, etc) related to successfully setting up any new products or a new client rollout.
- Collaborate. You will seek information from account executives, credit unions, and vendor partners. You will act as a backup to your co-workers, supporting the team and communicating across departments. You will prioritize exceptional service to internal and external customers and contribute ideas and feedback to enhance our operations.
- Continuous improvement. You will develop and maintain up-to-date knowledge of our products and services, attending appropriate development courses. You will keep abreast of claims, insurance and legislative changes and best practices. You will identify gaps and create processes to increase efficiency. You will play a role in new product or system enhancements and implementations as needed.
What you bring:
- The experience. You are driven by the need to make the lives of others easier. You have direct telephone customer-facing experience responding to inquiries, generating reports, and maintaining requests. You take it to heart that you are the first impression on our clients through your correspondence. You hold yourself highly accountable for meeting your deliverables. You can work autonomously in a fast-paced, deadline-oriented environment.
- The technical skills. You are analytical, detail-oriented, and can balance priorities, adapting quickly from one task to another. You have hands-on experience using MS Word and MS Excel and can quickly learn new software.
- The interpersonal skills. You have flexible and effective written and verbal communication skills. You can build working relationships, take direction, and work collaboratively as part of a team, jumping in where needed. You demonstrate empathy and practice principles that promote positive interactions.
When you're a Canadian Premier employee, you're part of a hard-working, high-performing, bright-thinking, make-things-happen family. One that sees your potential on day one, challenging you to grow your unique strengths as you create a career filled with opportunity, collaboration and meaning. For our newest team members to our most tenured, we're committed to being an employer that supports the person you want to be, at work and outside of it. We're growing – and we want you to grow with us.
At Canadian Premier, we know there's nothing more important than treating each other with respect, compassion, understanding, and dignity. Even though our family has grown over the years, we still maintain the entrepreneurial spirit that got us started. Watch this video to learn more about our core values and our Canadian Premier family.
Be part of a fast-paced company that offers you exciting opportunities to advance your career while you contribute to helping Canadians build secure tomorrows.
Many of the individuals who lead our team have an impressive tenure with us, and every single one of them will tell you, it's about the people—the people we serve and the people we work with. We're a small organization with flexibility, openness, and responsiveness; with the security and resources to continue to do our work in a way that makes the most impact on our customers.
Be a part of a place guided by people-focused not profit-driven values: Communicate openly, be accountable, be curious, celebrate together as one family.
This is a place that stands behind work-life balance, an accessible leadership team, transparent communication, and an atmosphere that can only be described as family-focused. We continue to promote an engaged work-life balance throughout the pandemic with initiatives that include virtual town halls, casual online coffees, mental health workshops and employee appreciation packages. The very nature of what we do – listening to our customers – is the foundation of how we collaborate, learn from one another, embrace diverse perspectives, and hold each other up.
If you have the majority of the qualifications we're looking for and you're interested in joining the team, we encourage you to express your interest by submitting an application. Apply now.
Canadian Premier is committed to providing a barrier-free work environment in accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act and the Ontario Human Rights Code. As such, Canadian Premier will provide reasonable accommodations available to applicants with disabilities upon request during the recruitment process. Please contact email@example.com for accommodation requests.
* Securian Financial is the marketing name for Securian Financial Group, Inc. and its affiliates. Insurance products are issued by its affiliated insurance companies. 2020 Fortune 500 Companies List, May 2020