Financial Planning and Analysis Officer
Sudbury Catholic District School Board
Sudbury , ON
August 11, 2022
The Sudbury Catholic District School Board is located in Northeastern Ontario and serves approximately 6,000 students in 18 schools located in Greater Sudbury, as well as in Markstay and Killarney. Greater Sudbury is 3,627 square kilometers in area, making it the geographically largest municipality in Ontario and second largest in Canada. Greater Sudbury is considered a city of lakes, containing 330 lakes and the largest lake contained within a city, Lake Wanapitei.
Our school board is host to and celebrates diverse cultures and is comprised of dedicated staff committed to high quality education that inspires and promotes lifelong learning. The Board is looking for a Financial Planning and Analysis Officer to join our dynamic Business and Financial Services team.
Reporting to the Manager of Financial Services, the Financial Planning and Analysis Officer conducts research, engages in forecasting and analysis activities, explores efficiencies to support the management, control and reporting of financial matters for the Board.
Education / Certification
- University degree in a related discipline.
- Professional accounting designation.
- Experience Required
- Three years of work-related experience in finance.
- Experience in a school board setting and knowledge of the Education Act and Regulations.
- Involved in budget forecasting for preliminary and revised estimates, financial planning, analysis and implications on proposed operational direction.
- Researches, analyzes and participates in the coordination and consolidation of short- and long-term planning documents with financial impacts for decision-making.
- Functional oversight for payroll procedures and processes as they intercept with the Human Resources department.
- Forecast salary and non-salary expenditures analyses expenditures and revenue patterns and identifies potential shortages/surpluses.
- Provides interpretation and advice on legislation, regulations, ministerial directives and organizational policies and procedures as well as explores efficiencies and processes to enhance the organizational outcomes.
- Assesses and recommends corporate accounting, reporting, internal control, and audit practices for the organization and participates in the development and implementation of departmental financial procedures and guidelines.
- Develops and conducts financial centered training and awareness presentations.
Scope of Knowledge
- Strong knowledge of analytical and problem solving methods as well as cost/benefit and risk analysist techniques and practices to develop cost effective recommendation for management on expenditure proposals and to assess alternative scenarios in the use of resources and to analyze and resolve complex financial issues.
- Knowledge of payroll systems in light of processes and procedures considered best practices, and the ability to retrieve in a timely and accurate manner to facilitate management reporting requirements.
- Strong knowledge and experience in Excel and data manipulation and analysis as well as the ability to communicate information effectively.
- Strong knowledge of the theories and principles of financial and management accounting including Generally Accepted Accounting Principles and accounting concepts, and practices to develop sound financial accounting, control reporting, verification and audit processes.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills to demonstrate and explain general and complex accounting theories, policies, and practices as well as deliver financial centered training and awareness presentations.
- Exceptional attention to detail and the ability to provide accurate and timely information while managing multiple conflicting deadlines.
- Ability to work both independently and in a team environment.
- A strong commitment to confidentiality and professionalism.
- Occasional travel to schools within the Board’s jurisdiction requiring a valid driver’s licence and access to a reliable vehicle.
- Requires a satisfactory Police Record Check: Vulnerable Sector Check.
The Sudbury Catholic District School Board offers a competitive salary and a comprehensive benefit package. The salary range for this position is $73,875 to $92,357 annually.