Toronto , ON
Mission Statement: Homes First Society develops and provides affordable, stable housing and support services to break the cycle of homelessness for people with the fewest housing options.
Where: 702 Kennedy Rd.
Days and Hours: Monday – Friday, 9am to 5pm
Salary: $79,000 to $85,000 annually
The successful applicant will maintain and enhance Homes First Society’s finance department by following financial policies and procedures; planning, budgeting, and preparing financial reports; and managing staff within the department while ensuring adherence to the mission statement, policies, and procedures of Homes First Society.
- Adhering to requirements of the auditors, to generally accepted accounting principles, and to funder requirements.
- Following financial reporting formats that reflect the changing nature of the agency’s business.
- Determining the accounting treatment of new or unusual financial transactions.
- Ensuring that asset, liability and capital account balances are accurate (monthly).
- Ensuring that financial transactions are properly documented and that there is an adequate audit trail.
- Reviewing the central administration and property management allocation routine to ensure it provides the organization with accurate information on the true costs of doing departmental business.
- Assisting with funder budget submissions, financial reports, tax filing, and other reports as required.
- Managing and ensuring accuracy of payroll, pension and benefit plans for the organization.
- Enforcing accounting controls and internal controls.
- Ensuring bank and credit card reconciliations are complete and accurate.
- Overseeing and communicating with the housing department to ensure accuracy of tenant management.
- Supervising the maintenance and integrity of the chart of accounts, assigning new classifications as may be necessary and ensuring the correct and accurate accounting allocations of all entries.
- Coordinating and preparing working papers and supporting documents required by auditor for the year-end audit.
- Assisting with the annual budgeting process as defined in the agency’s financial policies.
- Obtaining input from management and other key individuals about overall direction and goals of the agency, and their best estimates of financial resources necessary to achieve goals.
- Obtaining from staff, their best estimate of the budget revenues and expenses for their department.
- Preparing draft budget for discussion with finance director and management team with recommendations or alternatives, and accurate, complete and detailed analysis of previous expenditures for comparison purposes.
- Planning and implementing workflow systems.
- Develop scheduling and tracking systems to ensure deadlines are met.
- Preparing and delivering funder budget and reporting submissions by required deadlines.
- Updating agency knowledge concerning funder and legislative reporting requirements.
- Anticipating and planning for future funder and legislative changes.
- Gathering pertinent business, financial, service, and operations information for meetings.
- Identifying and evaluating financial and business trends.
- Participating in the recruitment, selection of new employees and ensuring orientation and training particular to finance
- Initiating, developing, coordinating, and enforcing systems, and productivity standards.
- Representing the organization at external forums.
- Fostering cooperation among management and staff.
- Other duties as assigned
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience in financial planning, accounting, analysis, and budgeting principles and practices.
- Post-secondary education with a CA, CGA, or CMA designation, or equivalent designation/experience.
- Knowledge and experience in managing computer systems.
- Superior financial management skills.
- Previous management experience, preferably in unionized environment.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal.
Homes First Society is an equal opportunity employer
Working in an environment where there may be smoke is required.
The successful applicant must provide a criminal record check that is satisfactory to Homes First Society
Homes First is committed to creating an accessible and inclusive organization. We are committed to providing barrier-free and accessible employment practices in compliance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA). Should you require Code-protected accommodation through any stage of the recruitment process, please make them known and we will work with you to meet your needs.
Covid-19 Vaccination Policy
Please note, all candidates offered a position with Homes First from September 8, 2021 onward must be fully vaccinated and provide proof of their vaccination status as a condition of employment. Please note Homes First will comply with its human rights obligations and accommodate employees who are legally entitled to accommodation.