Leadhand, Waste Services
City of Whitehorse
Whitehorse , YK
June 24, 2022
This incumbent oversees the daily operation of the Waste Management Facility by monitoring and assisting with administration of service contracts to ensure that waste is managed in an efficient, effective, and environmentally sound manner.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Oversee the daily operation of the Waste Management Facility by monitoring and assisting with administration of service contracts consistent with legislation and established programs, policies, procedures, practices, Bylaws, and operating license.
- Assist with the administration of service contracts, prepare and solicit requests for bids/proposals and provides project management to ensure contractor compliance.
- Inform, communicate and educate commercial haulers to improve compliance with relevant Bylaws, legislation and practices.
- Inspect commercial waste loads for compliance, calculate applicable fines.
- Remove banned materials from landfill if safe and practical to do so.
- Report clearly visible bylaw infractions to Bylaw Constables and Supervisor.
- Answer inquiries from customers and provide recommendations for preferred waste disposal practices.
- Distribute informational pamphlets as required.
- Perform labouring duties such as sweeping, shoveling, lifting, packing, hauling, digging, and moving objects.
- Follow, so far as is reasonably practicable, established safety procedures and standards.
- Assist in orientating seasonal staff.
- Act as Waste Services Supervisor, as assigned.
- Other related duties.
This description contains elements necessary for identification and evaluation of the job. The incumbent may be required to perform other related duties.
Continuous exposure to disagreeable conditions such as dust/dirt, fumes/odours, inclement weather, temperature extremes, working on uneven ground, lifting greater than 23 kg all types of solid waste, and hazardous chemicals odours and fumes.
Required Knowledge, Skill and Abilities:
- Grade 12
- 1 year previous related experience and 6 months on the job training
- Class 5 Driver's License
- Landfill Basics Operations Certificate (SWANABC)
- Manager of Landfill Operations Certification (SWANABC) is an asset
- Standard First Aid including level C CPR
- Conflict Resolution Course
- Transportation of Dangerous Goods (TDG) & WHMIS
- Hazard awareness and assessment course
- Must have strong interpersonal skills and be a team player
- Must have thorough knowledge and understanding of waste management practices
- Proven ability to concentrate, pay attention to detail, organize, priority set and be a team player
- Ability to work with little supervision and function in a multidiscipline environment
Examples of Equipment to Operate:
Radio communication equipment, cell phone, light vehicle, ATV, computer with programs such as Microsoft Word, Excel and ERP.
Covid-19 Note: The City of Whitehorse recently lifted requirements for all new hires be fully vaccinated from Covid-19 before their start date. The Covid-19 situation continues to evolve and the previous vaccination requirements for all current City employees and new hires may be re-instated, should the prevailing status change. The City of Whitehorse continues to follow the direction and recommendations from Yukon’s Chief Medical Officer of Health (CMOH) and public health authorities.
Quote Job Reference: 1589