Mother Parkers Tea & Coffee
Mississauga , ON
July 2, 2022
Who we are
Mother Parkers Tea & Coffee is a leading customer solutions provider, manufacturing and supplying quality coffee and tea to some of North America's largest retailers and foodservice chains. Our fast-growing EcoCup® brand of single-serve pods makes it easy for consumers to recycle through 3 easy steps of separation. Combining state-of-the-art technology and new product innovation with more than 100 years of business success, Mother Parkers continues to grow. We take pride in delivering a better beverage experience for customers and consumers, and a better employment experience for our people! We operate multiple manufacturing facilities in both Canada and the U.S.
We are committed to doing what's right for the planet, people, and the communities in which we operate. From farm to cup, we're engaged locally and at the industry level in ensuring a sustainable future for our customers and consumers.
At Mother Parkers, we will give you every opportunity to voice your ideas, own what you do, , and share your passion for people, our products and our customers. We live by our mission to provide a better beverage experience for our customers; and as a fourth-generation family-run company, we know that starts with great teams and innovative thinkers. We empower our people to turn their ideas into solutions, execute with integrity, deliver with quality, and take pride in their work. In turn, we foster a culture built on our values that supports everyone to be their best.
Who we need
Reporting to the Platform Development Manager, R&D., we have an opportunity with our Research & Development team for an experienced and dynamic Product Developer – Liquids & Extracts. You will be a subject matter expert in product development and product/process interaction for all liquid & extract products. Your mandate is to enable a smooth development path for complex and diverse product development initiatives and provide technical and project management expertise for products from the concept phase through scale-up to successful commercialization for ground-up innovation and customer-led product developments.
This is a hybrid opportunity with travel required, working 50% of the time in our world-class R&D lab space in Mississauga.
What's in it for you
Influence, impact, and career growth. Mother Parkers is a family-owned, mid-sized company with the infrastructure, budget, and growth mindset to try new things. You will play a key role in maintaining our position as a best-in-class provider of premium teas, coffees, and other food service beverage solutions across NorthernAmerica. At Mother Parkers, quality is at the heart of our guiding principles. You will make an impact by providing expertise, guidance, and hands-on work as part of the R&D team, working with partners and customers, and ultimately furthering our market share and growth. At Mother Parkers, we value initiative, and your ability to take action will serve you well as you work with us. You will have the chance to build your career at Mother Parkers. You will have the opportunity to upskill, and set and follow a career path aligned with your interests.
What you will do:
- Be the go-to expert. You will provide technical expertise and leadership to Business Development, Operations and Supply Chain to support new and improved product launches. You will implement and adhere to best practices for extraction, concentration, formulation and shelf-life stabilization techniques of coffee and tea beverages and concentrates.
- Develop new products. You will oversee the formulation of new products with additive ingredients, detailing sensory and functional requirements that will be key to success. You will design new concepts and applications, including recipes and preparation SOP for customers producing concentrate-based beverages. You will ensure that all customer-specific sensory, clean label, cost-of-goods, ease-of-use and shelf-life specifications and requirements are met when developing customer-specific products and preparing product samples for customers.
- Evaluate. You will coordinate product physical and sensory analysis with internal and external stakeholders. You will correlate results with ingredient and process parameters to guide further product development. You will evaluate the suitability of new ingredients to be used in the production of liquids & concentrates, including sensory, functional, clean-label, cost-of-goods and shelf life implications, as well as compatibility with manufacturing capabilities in our current supply chain.
- Collaborate. You will partner with operations and co-packers to develop physical specifications, sensory specifications, and manufacturing equipment settings for new products. You will participate in qualifying new ingredient suppliers and new co-packers in conjunction with Supply Chain, Quality and Legal. You will approve ingredient, nutritional and product information on product packaging and labels. You will coordinate and direct the activities of outside consultants as an extension of our R&D team.
- Test. In partnership with operations and/or co-packers, you will plan, prepare and execute the design of experiment studies and conduct product trials for scale-up. You will participate in continuous improvement initiatives directed at improved product quality, product functionality and cost savings.
What you bring to the role:
- The expertise. You have a Bachelor’s degree in Food Science, Food Processing or Chemical Engineering and 5 years of relevant product development experience in the Food and Beverage industry. You have a demonstrated in-depth understanding of recipe development with additives and formulation while considering food chemistry and product/process interactions, and the impact of shelf life stabilization techniques on product performance and sensory characteristics.
- The analytics. You have demonstrated experience in developing, executing, analyzing, and interpreting data to make sound technical recommendations. You can direct, conduct and assess sensory evaluation, including working with tasting panels, consumer panels and third parties. You have collaborated on branded and private label products. You have a demonstrated ability to understand the competitive set and cost of goods, and how they impact P&L.
- The project management. You have a proven track record of delivering complex projects on time, taking ownership from concept to completion. You prioritize meeting expectations and the resulting impact on the company's ability to be successful in the market. You think creatively and have an analytical approach to problem-solving, pivoting as needed to adjust to aggressive schedules and changes. You can work alongside teams and leadership, adhering strictly to industry protocols and following best practices.
- The interpersonal skills. You exhibit a high degree of professionalism and the ability to lead sales demonstrations and engage directly with customers and across teams. You have effective professional written, verbal, and presentation skills. You are highly collaborative and have a genuine interest in understanding others, hearing their perspectives, addressing their concerns, resolving conflict, removing roadblocks, and encouraging high-quality results. You ask intelligent questions to obtain information, identify root causes, and determine a solution. You have the confidence to take new ideas forward and productively challenge the status quo.
- The flexibility. You are willing and able to adapt your working hours and to travel within Canada and internationally as required for trials and coordination with suppliers, co-packers, consultants, and customers.
What we offer you:
- We want you to feel appreciated. We provide a competitive Total Rewards package, including health benefits from Day 1, employer-matched retirement savings plans, and optional Health or Wellness Spending Account. In addition, many of our team members enjoy flex hours and the opportunity to work from home.
- We value continuous learning, skills development, and career growth and we offer a Tuition Assistance Program for learning outside our environment.
- We want you to take your work home. While you don't have to drink coffee to work here, we have an employee discount on our tea and coffee products.
If you want to join our mission of creating a better beverage experience as an integral and valued member of our team, and you have 70% or more of the qualifications we are looking for, we invite you to express your interest here. While we can't guarantee an interview, we do promise to review your resume and see if this might be a good fit for both of us.
Mother Parkers is committed to providing accommodations for persons with disabilities. Accommodation is available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.