Packaging Development Scientist
Mother Parkers Tea & Coffee
Mississauga , ON
June 17, 2022
Who we are
Mother Parkers Tea & Coffee is a leading customer solutions provider, manufacturing and supplying quality coffee and tea to some of North America's largest retailers and foodservice chains. Our fast-growing EcoCup® brand of single-serve pods makes it easy for consumers to recycle through 3 easy steps of separation. Combining state-of-the-art technology and new product innovation with more than 100 years of business success, Mother Parkers continues to grow. We take pride in delivering a better beverage experience for customers and consumers, and a better employment experience for our people! We operate multiple manufacturing facilities in both Canada and the U.S.
We are committed to doing what's right for the planet, people, and the communities in which we operate. From farm to cup, we're engaged locally and at the industry level in ensuring a sustainable future for our customers and consumers.
At Mother Parkers, we will give you every opportunity to voice your ideas, own what you do, and share your passion for people, our products and our customers. We live by our mission to provide a better beverage experience for our customers; and as a fourth-generation family-run company, we know that starts with great teams and innovative thinkers. We empower our people to turn their ideas into solutions, execute with integrity, deliver with quality, and take pride in their work. In turn, we foster a culture built on our values that supports everyone to be their best.
Who we need
Reporting to the R&D Packaging Development Manager, we have an opportunity for an experienced and inquisitive Packaging Scientist.
You will be a subject matter expert in packaging design, driving our business growth in an increasingly competitive private label environment. Your mandate is to define, trial, analyze, and qualify materials for specific packaging needs, prioritizing production efficiency, economic costs, and sustainability. You will work closely with cross-functional teams on a range of R&D projects, including new package prototyping, existing packaging enhancements, sustainability improvements, and operational issues. You will apply your insights to identify future opportunities in packaging development and plant OEE improvement.
This is an onsite opportunity to work in our world-class R&D lab space in Mississauga, with occasional local, national, and international travel.
What's in it for you
Influence, impact, and career growth. Mother Parkers is a family-owned, mid-sized company with the infrastructure, budget, and growth mindset to try new things. You will play a key role in maintaining our position as a best-in-class provider of premium teas, coffees, and other foodservice beverage solutions across North America. At Mother Parkers, quality is at the heart of our guiding principles. You will make an impact by providing expertise, guidance, and hands-on work as part of the R&D team, work with vendors and customers, and ultimately further our market share and growth. At Mother Parkers, we value initiative, and your ability to take action will serve you well as you work with us. In addition, you will have the opportunity to upskill, including Six Sigma certification if you don't already have it; and set and follow a career path aligned with your interests.
What you will do:
- Be the go-to expert. You will provide technical expertise to Production, Engineering, Operations and Supply Chain to support new and improved packaging, processes, and machinery. You will organize and prepare materials, samples and testing for Sales, Marketing, and Development. You will support the execution of a packaging sustainability strategy, including reduction, recyclability and compostability from the perspective of our consumers and the waste diversion community.
- Research & Develop. You will theorize and form inquiries pertaining to food packaging. You will analyze materials in the lab, qualifying each for performance during plant processing equipment trials. You will organize and conduct lab and processing trials, compiling and analyzing results. You will coordinate other technical projects, including competitive analysis on marketplace products or plant capabilities.
- Collaborate and coordinate. You will work across teams, including Purchasing, Operations, Quality, and Supply Chain, to qualify and scale-up materials or other items. You will participate in continuous improvement initiatives directed at improved product quality, packaging functionality and cost savings.
What you bring to the role:
- The expertise. You have a background in Science and Engineering with 3+ years of relevant packaging development experience in the CPG industry. You have a demonstrated in-depth understanding of R&D processes and best practices with a focus on packaging materials, including common food packaging resins, barrier properties, and food-packaging interactions. You have exposure to packaging sustainability, including life-cycle analysis, compostability, and recyclability standards and requirements. You have knowledge of GMP, HACCP and SQF (or equivalent).
- The analytics. You have demonstrated statistics experience and in developing, executing, analyzing, and interpreting data to make sound technical recommendations. You can direct, conduct and assess sensory evaluation, including working with tasting panels, consumer panels and third parties. You have collaborated on branded and private label products. You have a demonstrated ability to understand the competitive set and cost of goods and how they impact on P&L.
- The project management. You have a proven track record of delivering complex projects on time, taking ownership from concept to completion. You prioritize meeting expectations and the resulting impact on the company's ability to succeed in the market. You think creatively and have an analytical approach to problem-solving, pivoting as needed to adjust to aggressive schedules and changes. You can work alongside teams and leadership, adhering strictly to industry protocols and following best practices.
- The interpersonal skills. You exhibit a high degree of professionalism and the ability to lead sales demonstrations and engage directly with internal and external teams. You have effective written, verbal, and presentation skills. You are highly collaborative and have a genuine interest in understanding others, hearing their perspectives, removing roadblocks, and encouraging high-quality results. You ask intelligent questions to obtain information, identify root causes, and determine a solution. You have the confidence to take new ideas forward and productively challenge the status quo.
- The flexibility. You are willing and able to adapt your working hours and to travel within Canada and internationally as required for trials and coordination with suppliers, vendors, or co-packers.
What we offer you:
- We want you to feel appreciated. We provide a competitive Total Rewards package, including health benefits from Day 1, employer matched retirement savings plans, and optional Health or Wellness Spending Account. In addition, many of our team members enjoy flex hours and the opportunity to work from home.
- We value continuous learning, skills development, and career growth and we offer a Tuition Assistance Program for learning outside our environment.
- We want you to take your work home. While you don't have to drink coffee to work here, we have an employee discount on our tea and coffee products.
If you want to join our mission of creating a better beverage experience as an integral and valued member of our team, and you have 70% or more of the qualifications we are looking for, we invite you to express your interest here. While we can't guarantee an interview, we do promise to review your resume and see if this might be a good fit for both of us.
Mother Parkers is committed to providing accommodations for persons with disabilities. Accommodation is available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.