Constable, Bylaw Services
City of Whitehorse
Whitehorse , YK
January 21, 2022
The incumbent provides bylaw enforcement through the application of by-laws, zoning regulations and industry standards.
Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Enforce regulatory bylaws and relevant Territorial Acts in collaboration with Territorial agencies and other City departments.
2. Identify bylaw related offences, research and recommend solutions through bylaws, zoning regulations, policies and procedures.
3. Operate and maintain the animal shelter.
4. Investigate, gather evidence, determine if there is sufficient evidence to prosecute, prepare documents, lay charges if warranted, serve summons, give evidence under oath and attend court.
5. Work with external stakeholders to resolve disputes.
6. Maintain records and enter data into electronic database.
7. Provide traffic control services as required. Direct traffic for both prescheduled events and emergency situations.
8. Provide input into Bylaws for operational improvements and efficiencies.
9. Follow, so far as is reasonably practicable, established safety procedures and standards.
10. Other related duties.
Exposure to dust, noise, temperature extremes and inclement weather, dust/dirt, fumes/odours, noise and physical danger or threats. Position may also be exposed to bodily fluids/wastes when cleaning the animal shelter.
Knowledge and Skills:
- Completion of Grade 12 or G.E.D.
- 2 years previous experience in Community-based Law Enforcement and 6 months on the job training.
- RCMP Vulnerable Sector check.
- Emergency First Aid including level C CPR (8 hours).
- Good organizational skills, prioritizing and ability to multitask with minimal supervision.
- Good skills relating to team building, human relations and problem solving.
- Proven written and oral communication skills.
- Ability to foster and maintain effective relationships among peers and/or stakeholders.
- Valid class 5 Driver's license.
Additional certification required within one and a half years of employment:
- Conflict Resolution Core courses (3) - Dealing with Anger, Conflict Management & Negotiation Level 1 (72 hours).
- Firearms Acquisition and possession certificate.
- Traffic Control Training (16 hours).
- Transportation of Dangerous Goods & WHMIS.
An equivalent combination of education, training and experience may be considered.
Examples of Equipment to Operate:
Vehicle, all-terrain vehicle, snow-mobile and trailer, firearms, animal trap, animal shelter equipment, photo-evidence equipment, pepper spray, catch poles, tranquillizer gun and general office equipment with the ability to operate ERP software programs, spreadsheets, electronic mail, word processing, etc.
Note: The City of Whitehorse requires that all employees be fully vaccinated from COVID-19 by February 20, 2022. Employees will be considered to be fully vaccinated 14 days after they have received both doses of a vaccine approved by Health Canada that requires two doses to complete the vaccination series. The City’s definition of full vaccination may change and any such change will be informed by direction from the Yukon’s Chief Medical Officer of Health (CMOH) and public health authorities.
The City strongly recommends that candidates be fully vaccinated prior to their start date. Accommodations may be requested by employees who cannot be vaccinated based on medical, religious or other protected ground.
Quote Job Reference: 1419