Administrative Assistant, Operations
City of Whitehorse
Whitehorse , YK
January 27, 2022
The incumbent is responsible for maintaining the office and for providing front line administrative support and administrative services to the Operations Department. The incumbent interacts with the public – both in person and via telephone and email – and provides information on departmental activities.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Receives calls/emails to the department both internal and external, often of an urgent nature.
- Responds, resolves or distributes e-mail, telephone or face to face complaints, including dispatching employees to resolve the complaints, and fulfils citizen requests for information.
- Inputs, retrieves and maintains data on complaints.
- Performs administrative assistant functions including word processing, drafting and reviewing/editing correspondence, copying, faxing, processing mail, creating and processing purchase orders, maintaining comprehensive filing, record retention and bring forward systems, arranges meetings and records minutes.
- Directs calls received from alarm monitoring company analyzing the urgency of the issue and relaying alarms accordingly.
- Monitors the City’s alarm system for daily lunch-time and coverage of Water and Waste Services Administrative function, analyzing the urgency of each issue and taking appropriate action and/or relaying alarms accordingly.
- Directs requests, completes, inputs and maintains work order information, scanning documents for digital storage of asset information and equipment, and facility information for computerized Maintenance Management System.
- Maintains key inventory, confidential security system records, fuel card inventory, and adds and deletes access codes as requested and dispenses keys and fuel cards as required.
- Researches and orders office supplies and materials as required, troubleshoots office equipment problems and requests service as required.
- Follows, to the extent that is reasonably practicable, established safety procedures and standards.
This description contains elements necessary for identification and evaluation of the job. The incumbent may be required to perform other related duties
Office job, Monday-Friday 8:30 am - 4:30 pm with minimal overtime. Open, extremely busy public office environment with little privacy and continuous interruptions, serving in-person and telephone customers, often angry, with complaints.
Knowledge and Skills:
- 1 year certificate in Office Administration with basic accounting.
- Standard First Aid Certificate, CPR Level C - 16 hours
- Customer Service course - 8 hours
- Previous Experience – 3 years related progressive experience which required the incumbent to prioritize a diverse work flow, including a minimum of 2 years in a public works environment.
- On-the-job experience - 6 months
- Team player
- Attention to detail, communication, strong customer service orientation, interpersonal, organization and priority setting skills. Must have demonstrated ability to be self-directed and ability to handle multiple tasks of a time-sensitive nature.
- Ability to self-motivate and seek out additional work as required.
An equivalent combination of education, training and experience may be considered.
Examples of Equipment to Operate:
Alarm monitoring systems, such as Scada and Patriot, computer with applications such as Outlook, Word, Excel, Access, and Worktech Maintenance Management System. Financial programs such as GP and FMW, and office and communications equipment such as copiers, fax machines, scanners, cerlox binder, fixed and portable radios.
Note: The City of Whitehorse requires that all employees be fully vaccinated from COVID-19 by February 20, 2022. Employees will be considered to be fully vaccinated 14 days after they have received both doses of a vaccine approved by Health Canada that requires two doses to complete the vaccination series. The City’s definition of full vaccination may change and any such change will be informed by direction from the Yukon’s Chief Medical Officer of Health (CMOH) and public health authorities.
The City strongly recommends that candidates be fully vaccinated prior to their start date. Accommodations may be requested by employees who cannot be vaccinated based on medical, religious or other protected grounds.
Quote Job Reference: 1416