Mechanic/Welder, Heavy Duty
City of Whitehorse
Whitehorse , YK
January 24, 2022
Job posting closes: Monday January 24, 2022 at 5:00 pm Yukon Standard Time
An Eligibility List may be established from this competition ? the duration of the eligibility list may be up to 12 months. The eligibility list may be used to fill future permanent full-time, permanent part-time, temporary full-time, temporary part-time, term or casual vacancies within the same department and classification based on the organizational needs by going to the next highest ranked candidate until the eligibility list expires.
This position is covered by a collective agreement between the City of Whitehorse and the Public Service Alliance of Canada/Yukon Employees Union.
The City wishes to thank all applicants for their interest but only those candidates selected to advance in the recruitment will be contacted. Note that only those candidates eligible to legally work in Canada will be considered.
Heavy Duty Equipment Mechanic/ Welder
Department: Fleet and Transportation Maintenance
Under the direction of the Leadhand, Equipment and Maintenance, the incumbent inspects, repairs, services and maintains all City-owned heavy duty, light duty and specialized equipment, and automotive vehicles.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Complete inspection, testing, servicing, maintenance and repair of all City vehicles and equipment including light, medium and heavy duty in accordance with prescribes polices, directives and procedures.
- Maintain, operate and ensure efficient and safe operation of a variety of heavy duty, automotive and auxiliary equipment.
- Prepare written mechanical assessment reports and maintain accurate records.
- Performs semi-annual inspections of equipment as required by the National Safety Code.
- Ensure that all mechanical tools and equipment are in an acceptable state of repair and safe to use.
- Ensure, so far as is reasonably practicable, that safety procedures and standards are followed by staff throughout the department.
- Enter and maintain data in asset management computerized system.
- Advise and direct apprentice staff on the job site and orients City of Whitehorse staff on the basic operation and maintenance of equipment as required.
- Act as Leadhand, Equipment Maintenance as assigned. Other related duties.
This description contains elements necessary for identification and evaluation of the job. The incumbent may be required to perform other related duties.
Trades, Transport, Operators & Labourers
Exposure to dust/dirt, fumes/odours, grease, oil, dangerous substances (petroleum products) and noise on a daily basis and temperature extremes/inclement weather when working in the shop and overseeing emergency repairs onsite and travelling between work locations. Occasional exposure to bodily fluids and wastes when repairing vactor trucks and garbage packers.
Required Knowledge, Skill and Abilities:
- Journeyman Heavy Duty or Automotive Mechanic Certificate.
- National Vehicle Code Safety Inspection Certificate.
- 3 years related experience and 6 months on the job training.
- Strong computer skills in computerized preventive maintenance system.
- Class 3 Driver?s License with Air Endorsement. Class 2 drivers' license is an asset.
- Standard First Aid with CPR.
- Proven ability to concentrate, pay attention to detail, organize, set priorities, be goal oriented and be a team player
- Must be able to work with little supervision and function in a multidiscipline envoirnment.
- Ability to lift in excess of 23 kg for short periods of time on a daily basis
An equivalent combination of education, training and experience may be considered.
Examples of Equipment to Operate:
All classes of vehicles and equipment, full range of mechanical tools/equipment for the purposes of inspecting, testing, servicing, repairing and maintaining vehicles and equipment, diagnostic software applications and computer with applications such as Outlook, Word, Excel and ERP Work Tech.
Note: The City of Whitehorse requires that all employees be fully vaccinated from COVID-19 by February 20, 2022. Employees will be considered to be fully vaccinated 14 days after they have received both doses of a vaccine approved by Health Canada that requires two doses to complete the vaccination series. The City?s definition of full vaccination may change and any such change will be informed by direction from the Yukon?s Chief Medical Officer of Health (CMOH) and public health authorities.
The City strongly recommends that candidates be fully vaccinated prior to their start date. Accommodations may be requested by employees who cannot be vaccinated based on medical, religious or other protected grounds.
Quote Job Reference: 1404