City of Whitehorse
Whitehorse , YK
January 19, 2022
Job posting closes: Wednesday, January 19, 2022 at 05:00pm (Yukon Standard Time)
An Eligibility List may be established from this competition ? the duration of the eligibility list may be up to 12 months. The eligibility list may be used to fill future permanent full-time, permanent part-time, temporary full-time, temporary part-time, term or casual vacancies within the same department and classification based on the organizational needs by going to the next highest ranked candidate until the eligibility list expires.
This position is covered by a collective agreement between the City of Whitehorse and the Public Service Alliance of Canada/Yukon Employees Union.
The City wishes to thank all applicants for their interest but only those candidates selected to advance in the recruitment will be contacted. Note that only those candidates eligible to legally work in Canada will be considered.
Department: Corporate HR
The incumbent performs a range of payroll activities in a timely and accurate manner in accordance with established internal controls, relevant legislation, collective agreements, policies and procedures.
Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Process bi-weekly payroll in a timely and accurate manner. This may include:
- Calculating and processing payroll, contract payouts, eligible premiums, status changes and authorized deductions;
- Resolving timecard exceptions;
- Obtaining authorized approvals;
- Preparing electronic file to transfer payroll deposits;
- Processing terminations; and
- Issuing Records of Employment.
2. Respond to inquiries from staff and authorized third parties in relation to payroll matters, benefit plans, collective agreement provisions, leave entitlements and payroll legislation.
3. Prepare, compile and process statistical reports, statements and summaries related to pay and benefits accounts for various third parties (i.e. HRDC, WCB, CSB, Insurance Carrier, Union, RRSP, etc.).
4. Calculate and process retroactive payments as required.
5. Prepare regular remittances and other periodic reconciliations.
6. Assist in the preparation of T4 statements and year-end procedures.
7. Act as Payroll Supervisor as assigned.
8. Maintain electronic and manual payroll records..
9. Train staff on electronic time card process.
10. Follow, so far as is reasonably practicable, established safety procedures and standards.
11. Other related duties.
This position contains elements necessary for identification and evaluation of the job. The incumbent may be required to perform other related duties.
Business, Finance & Admin
Majority of the work is performed under normal office conditions. Must maintain the confidentiality of all corporate information.
Required Knowledge, Skill and Abilities:
- 1 year post-secondary Business Administration or Accounting certification plus Payroll Compliance Practitioner (PCP) certification.
- 3 years related in a computerized environment dealing with various employment contracts and 6 months on the job training.
- Comprehensive knowledge of collective agreements and payroll legislation.
- Proven skills working with computerized payroll software.
- Ability to work and maintain accuracy under pressure and to meet critical deadlines.
- Ability to work independently in a fast paced environment with little supervision.
- Strong client service orientation and good interpersonal skills.
- Good organizational skills.
An equivalent combination of education, training and experience may be considered.
Examples of Equipment to Operate:
General office equipment with the ability to operate ERP software programs, spreadsheets, electronic mail, word processing, etc.
Note: The City of Whitehorse requires that all employees be fully vaccinated from COVID-19 by February 20, 2022. Employees will be considered to be fully vaccinated 14 days after they have received both doses of a vaccine approved by Health Canada that requires two doses to complete the vaccination series. The City?s definition of full vaccination may change and any such change will be informed by direction from the Yukon?s Chief Medical Officer of Health (CMOH) and public health authorities.
The City strongly recommends that candidates be fully vaccinated prior to their start date. Accommodations may be requested by employees who cannot be vaccinated based on medical, religious or other protected grounds.
Quote Job Reference: 1393