City of Whitehorse
Whitehorse , YK
December 21, 2021
The incumbent supervises assigned staff, plans, coordinates, organizes, assigns, reviews and evaluates Parks Branch activities to ensure the development and maintenance of parks, trails and green spaces in the City.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Supervise, coordinate, assign and review daily work activities in planning and implementing the development and maintenance of parks, paved trails, green spaces, playgrounds, campgrounds and cemeteries in the City. Establish work schedules and procedures, resolves work-related issues, prepare and submit progress and other reports and co-ordinate activities.
- Liaise and collaborate with other departments and stakeholders to coordinate and implement community initiated or interdepartmental capital projects related to parks and green spaces as assigned. The incumbent is responsible for the construction phase of capital projects, capital upgrades, and the asset management of assets within area of responsibility.
- Coordinate, implement, track and report on various community group initiates and interdepartmental projects related to parks, paved trails and green spaces.
- Supervise and provide leadership in all human resource areas as assigned, including recruitment, safety, and performance management consistent with collective agreements and city policies.
- Provide input into studies and develop strategies and polices to advance parks, greenspace, and community initiatives.
- Ensure, so far as is reasonably practicable, that safety procedures and standards are followed by staff throughout the department.
- Prepares and monitors (controls), under the direction of the Manager, the Parks Branch annual operating and capital budgets. Collaborate with the Finance department to prepare and evaluate tenders, quotations, proposal calls and reports and awards or recommends awards in accordance with the City's Purchasing Policy.
- Acts as Manager, Parks & Community Development as assigned.
Other related duties.
This position contains elements necessary for identification and evaluation of the job. The incumbent may be required to perform other related duties.
Work is equally split between a normal office environment and exposure to inclement weather and extreme temperatures when conducting site visits or meeting with stakeholders groups outside. Occasional evening and weekend work.
Required Knowledge, Skill and Abilities:
- 2 year Diploma in Parks Management or Recreation
- 5 years progressive, related experience, four of which have been in a supervisory level.
- Excellent skills relating to communications, consensus building, liaising with stakeholders, human relations, strategic operational and financial planning, and problem solving.
- Ability to foster and maintain effective relationships among peers and/or stakeholders.
- Proven written and oral communication skills to develop and present reports, position papers and proposals,
- Excellent organizational skills, prioritization, and the ability to manage several projects at one time with minimal supervision.
- Proven project management skills.
- Class 5 Driver's License.
An equivalent combination of education, training and experience may be considered.
Examples of Equipment to Operate:
General office equipment including computer skills to operate software programs related to work processing, spreadsheet, electronic mail, audio-visual equipment, etc.
Quote Job Reference: 1385