Senior Vice President, Investment Research and Portfolio Construction
Edmonton , AB
December 31, 2021
AIMCo (Alberta Investment Management Corporation) is currently seeking a permanent full-time Senior Vice President, Investment Research and Portfolio Construction to join our team in our Edmonton office located at #1600 10250 – 101 Street NW, Edmonton, Alberta T5J 3P4.
We are one of Canada’s largest and most diversified investment managers.
We are guided by the core values of excellence, transparency, humility, integrity and collaboration. We are mindful and responsive to actively evaluating, assessing and optimizing risk to achieve superior performance for Albertans. We believe that every employee is empowered and accountable for managing risk.
As Senior Vice President, Investment Research and Portfolio Construction, you will coach, manage and mentor a team committed to evolving AIMCo’s investment research program to the benefit of our clients. Working across the organization, you will bring innovative ideas, inputs and increased rigor to developing investment insights building upon a deep understanding of capital markets, economic and financial theory. You will also take the lead on the creation, oversight and implementation of the Portfolio Construction framework that will continue to advance AIMCo’s understanding of clients’ investment portfolios. Leveraging emerging technologies, you will provide oversight and guidance to improve the integration of technology and portfolio construction techniques into AIMCo’s investment research and business processes.
As Senior Vice President, Investment Research and Portfolio Construction, some of your responsibilities will include:
- Overseeing the continued evolution of the investment research program, including choice of topics and research methodology, ensuring continued relevance and value-add for clients
- Overseeing the development of the client portfolio construction framework and enhancing capabilities in asset liability analytics across the team
- Leading the review and assessment of core investment building blocks on AIMCo’s platform in conjunction with clients’ investment objectives
- Leading the ongoing development of the factor model framework to better understand exposures of client portfolios
- Reviewing, developing and helping integrate new and emerging finance, economic and quantitative tools, technologies and methodologies through partnership with internal and external teams and stakeholders
- Playing a key role in reviewing and evaluating Client Investment Portfolios, including total risk, factor exposures and liquidity within the context of current and emerging investment issues, and recommending changes in asset class or factor risk exposures as required
- Working together with members of AIMCo’s investment, risk and client teams, and with client education on investment topics Modelling a commitment to continually improving, contributing, questioning and fostering the same in others
Skills and Experience Required
The ideal candidate will meet the following requirements:
- Master’s degree or doctorate in Financial Mathematics, Business, Finance, Economics, Statistics, Computer Science or Actuarial Science
- Completion of CFA, PRM and / or FRM designations would be highly advantageous
- 15+ years of experience in investment research and portfolio construction, with deep familiarity of Multi-Asset research, including an advanced understanding of individual asset classes
- 10+ years of client engagement on investment topics combined with deep knowledge of financial markets, financial concepts, investment strategies, investment products (including derivatives) and their underlying risk drivers
- Demonstrates knowledge of pricing, including derivative pricing theory, asset valuation, risk and calibration models for a variety of financial instruments
- Expert understanding of quantitative methods, statistics, time series, multivariate and Monte Carlo analyses, with previous experience designing, estimating and implementing economic-related statistical models
- Strong technical skills including deep knowledge of risk models, optimization and statistical modeling software and programming languages including SAS, MATLAB, Python, R, etc. and experience with automation scripting
- 10+ years of experience guiding, coaching, mentoring and supporting a team to new levels of personal and professional success
- Advanced communication skills, with a refined ability to foster collaborative relationships amongst internal and external stakeholder groups
- Demonstrates a commitment to AIMCo’s core values of excellence, transparency, humility, integrity and collaboration, and inspires the same in others
Wage and Benefits
The wage for this position is $170,000 to $280,000 annually, based on experience, for at least 36.25 hours per week plus performance bonuses. Benefits include ongoing training, coaching and educational reimbursement programs; defined contribution pension plan; and health care spending account and onsite fitness facilities.