International Recruitment & Admissions Coordinator
Wilfrid Laurier University
Waterloo , ON
October 17, 2021
Department: Enrolment Services
Job Type: Continuing
Full-time/Part-time: Full Time (>=1249 hrs/year)
Reports to: Manager, International Recruitment and Partnerships
Employee Group: WLUSA
Application Deadline: October 17, 2021
Requisition ID: 2493
Number of Vacancies: 1
Wilfrid Laurier University is a leading multi-campus university that excels at educating with purpose. Through its exceptional employees, students, researchers, leaders, and educators, Laurier has built a reputation as a world-class institution known for its rich student experience, academic excellence, and global impact. With a commitment to Indigenization and commitment to equity, diversity, inclusion, Laurier’s thriving community has a place for everyone.
Laurier has more than 19,000 students and 2,100 faculty and staff across campuses in Waterloo and Brantford, as well as a location in Kitchener. The university is committed to providing an inclusive workplace and employing a workforce that is reflective of local and national demographics. Our locations are situated on the traditional territories of the Neutral, Anishnawbe, and Haudenosaunee peoples. We recognize the unique heritages of Indigenous peoples and support their intentions to preserve and express their distinctive Indigenous cultures, histories, and knowledge through academic programming and co-curricular activities. Laurier’s Centre for Indigegogy is one example of how Laurier honours Indigenous knowledge.
At Laurier, we are a community. It’s what brings our students here and what keeps our people here. As an educational institution, we inspire lives of leadership and purpose in our student community. As an employer, we seek, foster and value the same qualities of leadership and purpose in our employee community.
Reporting to the Manager, International Recruitment and Partnerships, the International Recruitment & Admissions Coordinator works as a member of this team to ensure the enrolment management goals of the university at large are met. The Recruitment & Admissions (R&A) team, as a part of the larger Enrolment Services team, will implement strategic plans to advance the position of Wilfrid Laurier University nationally and internationally as a destination for high caliber students. This position is a hybrid position composed of both recruitment and admissions responsibilities and requires a balance of both technical proficiency and precision, and a dynamic and engaging presence and attitude.
The incumbent is responsible for assisting in the implementation of the international recruitment and partnership strategic plan and ensuring that the goals and objectives of the plan are met. The incumbent will be responsible for the primary markets of India and Middle East with additional secondary markets. The incumbent will communicate with prospective students; will assist in creating new and maintain existing relationships between the university and international and national institutions; will participate in public speaking engagements and participate in the promotion of the university on an international and national level. In this high-pressure, high-volume environment, the incumbent will provide exceptional customer service with these important groups to ensure information needed to make key decisions is provided promptly and with an engaging personal touch. This position is very fast paced due to the high volume of requests. As a result, the incumbent will be required to process admission files in a very timely, accurate, consistent and equitable manner. The incumbent plays a key role by ensuring priorities are set and contributes to the group meeting its deadlines while upholding Laurier’s high standard of admission.
Recruitment and Admissions is a team based multi-campus environment and this role will be a key contributor to the overall objectives of this team. This role will require the facilitation of positive interpersonal interactions and collaboration between many units on an ongoing basis with departments (e.g. Laurier International, Student Services) at the Waterloo Campus, the Brantford Campus, agents and other external partners. This position has a university-wide mandate that will require travel to all campuses and is based at the Waterloo Campus.
Planning and Analysis
- Participate in recruitment training, including gathering extensive knowledge of the university, public speaking and presentation practice and gaining extensive knowledge of the admission practices and procedures
- Research and recommend target markets for international engagement that aligns with Laurier’s academic programming
- Where applicable, record and report accurate travel reports, strategic action plans by region, projects and initiatives, monthly expenses and performance measures
- Schedule and co-ordinate timetable of all international visits: presentations, agent training, meetings, arranging for travel lodging, travel visas and other logistics of travel, as needed
Implementation of visit plan and recruitment/conversion activities
- Travel independently or in groups, speaking to prospective students, their parents and school administrators and giving formal presentations
- Participate in Laurier Open houses, campus familiarization tours and visits from Ontario and International schools and participate in the Ontario University Fair (OUF) and other international fairs
- Participate in virtual recruitment fairs as needed
- Guide, advise and respond to international applicants, Education Agents, parents and guidance counsellors from application process to offer confirmation
- Ensure Laurier recruitment processes are tailored to address the needs of a diverse international population through relationship building activities, including, but not limited to engaging Alumni and current students, providing Academic Outreach opportunities, meeting with government officials and Education Agents
- Responsible for communicating key points and addressing each student’s interest through presentations and individual contact to assist them in making informed decisions regarding post-secondary education
- Exercise high level of caution when travelling; review travel advisories, awareness of safe travel protocol, complete duty of care procedures
- Provide statistical and other data as requested and recommend changes to policies and procedures as necessary
- Project based work relating to prospective students
- Provide exceptional service to applicants and agent representatives using various forms of communication to ensure information needed to make key decisions is provided promptly and with a personal touch
- Adjudicate targeted international student applications within determined deadlines and in a dynamic environment, in a fair and consistent manner, adhering to established policies as set out by Senate, the admissions office, and Laurier’s admissions committees
- Understand and be able to reconcile degree program admission requirements with student academic records
- Evaluates diverse candidates’ educational background through various international curriculums and provides counselling and appropriate recommendations and alternatives
- Diffuses situations where applicant is dissatisfied with outcome
- Attendance at regular admissions coordinator meetings for knowledge sharing and providing advocacy for special cases for review; communicating decisions including options and alternates to the applicant Researches, evaluates and applies pertinent criteria of national, international and trans-national educational curriculums and systems to ensure admission requirements or equivalencies are met
- In responding to the market intelligence gathered, share and apply knowledge and understanding of Admissions Committee and Senate policy to influence and maintain fair and equitable practices
- High level of competency in multiple software platforms in order to assess, document and report electronic files such as Banner, Document Management system, Cognos reporting, Salesforce, etc.
- Undergraduate university degree
- Minimum two years recruitment or related work experience
- Experience living or extended travelling abroad in a cross cultural context
- Knowledgeable of international educational systems and practices, university programs, university regulations, policies and procedures
- Effective interpersonal and public relations skills; experienced at public speaking and making effective presentations that engage the audience to continue with a personal dialogue
- Knowledge of and experience in advising students on educational policies and procedures an asset
- Demonstrated exceptional writing skills that reflects a commitment to precision, customer service, and natural rapport building
- Demonstrated skill/ability in the following areas:
- dealing courteously and effectively with people
- exercising good judgement and initiative
- answering inquiries in a clear and concise manner
- Ability to work and travel independently and set priorities as well as a commitment to a positive team environment and supportive workplace
- Excellent organizational skills and acute attention to detail
- Experience using social media as a marketing tool within an organization
- Knowledge of the visa process
- Understand and maintain sensitivity to dissemination of information about Laurier, particularly admissions cut-off average information as well as when dealing with information about prospective students
- Available and willing to travel locally, nationally and internationally and ability to be away from home for extended periods of time
- Ability to speak and write fluently in another language is an asset. Arabic, Hindi, Urdu, Mandarin, & Spanish languages are preferred.
- Valid “G” driver’s license with proven good driving record
- Ability to work evenings and weekends
Position Grade: SH-08
Rate of Pay: $34.86 - $41.03
Hours of Work:
This is a full-time, continuing position. The normal hours of work are 8:30 AM - 4:30 PM. Monday to Friday.
Wilfrid Laurier University endeavors to fill positions with qualified candidates who have a combination of education, experience, skills and abilities to successfully perform the duties of the position while demonstrating Laurier's Employee Success Factors.
Equity, diversity and creating a culture of inclusion are part of Laurier’s core values and central to the Laurier Strategy. Laurier is committed to increasing the diversity of faculty and staff and welcomes applications from candidates who identify as Indigenous, racialized, having disabilities, and from persons of any minority sexual and gender identities. Indigenous candidates who would like to learn more about equity and inclusive programing at Laurier are welcomed to contact the Office of Indigenous Initiatives. Candidates from other equity deserving groups who would like to learn more about equity and inclusive programing at Laurier are welcomed to contact Equity & Accessibility. We have strived to make our application process accessible, however if you require any assistance applying for a position or would like this job posting in an alternative format, please contact Human Resources. Contact information can be found at careers.wlu.ca/content/How-to-Apply-/
Quote Job Reference: 2493