Senior Backend Engineer - Workflows Platform
Toronto , ON
Nylas is a pioneer and leading provider of productivity infrastructure solutions for modern software. Over 100,000 developers worldwide use the Nylas platform to quickly and securely build productivity features into their applications. With Nylas, developers get unprecedented access to rich communications data from their end-users, pre-built workflows that automate everyday tasks, embeddable UI/UX components for fast front-end development, and comprehensive security features - all delivered via a suite of powerful APIs that make integration easy.
Who We Are
Nylas was founded in 2013 and has raised over $175M to date from Tiger Global, 8VC, Spark Capital, Slack, and more; as well as individual investors including Patrick Collison, Co-Founder and CEO of Stripe, John Collison, President and Co-Founder of Stripe, Sebastian Siemiatkowski, CEO of Klarna, and Tony Fadell. Developers around the world use Nylas to quickly and securely build email, scheduling, and work automation features into their applications. Nylas customers include Upwork, Wix, Freshworks, Lever, Dialpad, Ceridian, and Move.com.
Nylas is a BIG advocate for the well-being of its employees, which is why we have embraced a People First philosophy. It’s about giving more autonomy and flexibility to our employees. It’s not about when, where or how the work is accomplished; it’s about adopting a mindset of velocity and trust when tackling the work. It’s about respecting individual working styles, disabilities, and personal schedules, but also ensuring everyone has a better work-life balance. The outcomes will always be more important than the physical location.
Nylanauts have the ability to decide the best workspace or environment that will result in more ideas, engagement, creativity, focus, collaboration, and productivity. Why? Because we want our employees to be great; because we are focussed on being a high-performing team. To achieve this mission, we remove barriers and offer more autonomy. So, Nylanauts are encouraged to find those environments that inspire them to be great. This means Nylanauts can work from the slopes of Montana or from the beaches of Italy.
And if Nylanauts want to work from an office in one of our hubs (San Francisco, Denver, New York City, Toronto, and London), they can! The workspace is there to be utilized.
So, if you’re looking to join a fast-growing company with a beloved, daily-use product, and an authentic mission that puts people first, we want to meet you. Want to know more? Check us out on Comparably and Great Place to Work!
- Fastest Growing Companies (Inc 500)
- 2020 Great Place to Work (Great Place to Work)
- 2020 Best Places for Professional Development (Comparably)
- 2019 Best Leadership Team (Comparably)
- 2020 Happiest Employees (Comparably)
- 2020 Best Companies for Compensation (Comparably)
- 2020 Best Companies for Perks & Benefits (Comparably)
- 2020 Best Companies for Work-Life Balance (Comparably)
About the team
Developers extensively use Nylas APIs to build an end business use-case such as scheduling an interview. This takes away their valuable resources of human work hours and compute resources. They pay opportunity cost of not utilizing these resources on their core, high-value business logic. The Workflow team at Nylas is responsible for creating a Workflow platform that will empower both Nylas internal developers and customers to express their business use cases as Nylas workflows. We do the grunt work of building and maintaining repeatable logic and our clients can focus on their core business.
About the role
This role will be responsible for designing, developing, deploying, and maintaining various components of the Workflow platform and sample Workflow templates. It also involves working with partner teams and help them onboard on the platform. As a Workflow team member, you will also get to work with Natural Language Processing, deep learning ML models for use-cases such as intent detection, image recognition, etc.
- Creating APIs for the platform and designing data model for the API
- Managing the reliability and scalability of the API and the platform
- Maintaining the infrastructure of the platform
- Using latest technologies like Kubernetes, EKS, GKE, etc.
- Working on multiple databases like AWS Aurora, Cassandra, MySQL, etc.
- Developing using Golang and sometimes Python
- Develop ML models for intent-detection, image recognition, text parsing, etc.
- Strong foundations in Computer Science or Software Engineering
- At least 3+ years of experience on developing and deploying to production systems
- Experience with python, scala, golang or java
- Track record and references from great people
- Ability and confidence to pick up any technical concept to get the job done
- Comfortable in the dark and exploring ideas never done before
- Strong belief that product and design decisions are inextricably linked
- Busy creating magic from your code
- A power user of the tools of your trade or building your own tools
- Never stop learning
- Communicate design decisions openly and confidently, regardless of the audience—engineers, PMs, executives, other designers, etc.
- Not afraid to change your opinion in the face of new information or understanding of the product goals—you have strong beliefs, but you’re open-minded
Benefits & Perks
- Unlimited Paid Time Off (PTO): we take this very seriously as we care about the well-being of our employees
- Healthcare: 90% premium coverage for medical, dental and vision for you and your family
- One Medical onsite and tele-health membership for you and dependents
- Additional: Health and DC FSA, Life insurance, with options for STD, LTD
- Retirement Plan: match up to 1% of annual salary for 401k or RRSP contributions
- Education Stipend: $1k annual education & development benefit
- Perk card: $150 per month towards health, wellness, and other perks via Assembly
- Cell Phone: $50 per month stipend towards cell phone reimbursement
- Fully Paid Parental Leave: 12 weeks parental leave (maternity & paternity)
Nylas is registered as an employer in many, but not all, states/provinces. If you are not located in or able to work from a state/province where Nylas is registered, you will not be eligible for employment. Visa sponsorship may not be available in certain remote locations.
Nylas is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. See also EEO is the Law.
If you have the skills and experience required for this position, please forward your resume to: