City of Whitehorse
Whitehorse , YK
October 7, 2021
Job Code: 061
Department: Recreation and Facility Services
The incumbent instructs basic aquatic programs, supervises users, provides emergency care for minor or major first aid situations, provides support to pool administrative and maintenance staff, tests and maintains water quality, and assists with implementation of special events.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Monitors pool users and enforces established standards of conduct and decorum, responds to major and minor emergency first aid situations, responds to enquiries from public and follows established safety and emergency procedures.
- Prepares and implements lesson plans and instructional material, prepares and distributes candidate progress reports, and prepares and submits statistical reports/records.
- Advises and directs the volunteers assigned to their programs.
- Performs light custodial maintenance and minor repairs to facility and equipment assisting in the inventory and stocking of custodial, first aid and program supplies.
- Maintains a clean and orderly workspace in accordance with Occupational Health and Safety Standards. Maintains a professional image to the public and ensures all public interactions are conducted in a professional way.
- Performs water tests.
- Collects cash from locker rentals and other coin operated machines.
- Performs basic computer skills required for program registration and entering swim lesson records, and assists with administrative duties such as cash handling and receptionist procedures.
- Participates in training sessions as part of the Aquatic Training Cycle, in accordance with certification requirements.
- Under the direction of the Aquatics Leadhand, assists in developing or implementing special programmed aquatic activities and aquatic special events.
- Act as Aquatic Team Leader as assigned.
This description contains the elements necessary for the identification and evaluation of the job. The incumbent may be required to perform other related duties.
7 hour shifts, 5 days/week, Sunday - Saturday between the hours of 0530 - 2400. Exposure to temperature extremes when working in water and getting in and out of water, humidity in the pool environment and noise from pool patron activity.
Knowledge and Skills:
- Completion of Grade 10.
- Previous experience - 2 months Lifeguard and/or Instructor experience AND the following Current Base Awards:
- NLS (National Lifeguard Service) Pool Option - 15 hours
- SEARS "I Can Swim" Teacher certification - 14 hours
- Standard First Aid and level C CPR - 14 hours
- Workplace Hazardous Materials Information Systems (WHMIS) - 8 hours
- LSI (Lifesaving Society Instructor) certification - 16 hours
- Aquatic Fitness Certification (CALA, BCRPA or equivalent) - 40 hours
- On-the-job experience - 3 months
- Teaching and interpersonal skills, safety conscious
An equivalent combination of education, training and experience may be considered.
Examples of Equipment to Operate:
First Aid equipment, office equipment, computer with applications such as Outlook, Word, Excel, Class and ERP, audio-visual equipment, basic maintenance tools and water test kits.
Quote Job Reference: 1322