City of Whitehorse
Whitehorse , YK
October 1, 2021
Job posting closes: October 01, 2021 at 05:00pm (Yukon Standard Time)
An Eligibility List may be established from this job posting – The duration of the eligibility list may be up to 12 months. The eligibility list may be used to fill future permanent full – time, permanent part-time, temporary full – time, temporary part-time, term or casual vacancies based on the requirements of the organization within the same classification. Future vacancies for similar positions will be filled by going to the next highest ranked candidate until the eligibility list expires.
This position is covered by a collective agreement between the City of Whitehorse and the Public Service Alliance of Canada/Yukon Employees Union
The City wishes to thank all applicants for their interest but only those candidates selected to advance in the recruitment will be contacted. Note that only those candidates eligible to legally work in Canada will be considered.
Job Code: 274
Department: Financial Services
The incumbent is responsible for a wide range of accounting and support activities for the department.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Analyze and reconcile General Ledger accounts and financial records including preparing year-end working papers for internal and external audit.
- Create and maintain General Ledger accounts for the Chart of Accounts in financial system software.
- Maintain the register of third-party agreements and administer the City’s agreement portfolio including preparing invoice requisitions, requesting information from third parties and liaising with departments as necessary to ensure documentation is current, complete, and in accordance with City policies.
- Maintain the register of City issued grants and administer select grant processes including receiving applications, reviewing eligibility, compiling recommendations and drafting approval letters.
- Complete moderately complex data analysis for account reconciliations, grant claims or other related duties.
- Undertake financial reports, government reports and projects as directed by supervisor including GST reconciliation, analysis and filing.
- Administer journal entry process including analyzing and preparing journal entries, obtaining necessary approvals, posting and filing in a secure, orderly and appropriate location to preserve a trail for historical and audit purposes.
- Prepare travel advances and reconcile travel claims.
- Act as Financial Analyst 3 (Senior Financial Analyst) as assigned.
- Follows, so far as is reasonably practicable, established safety procedures and standards.
- Other related duties as assigned.
This description contains the elements necessary for the identification and evaluation of the job. The incumbent may be required to perform other related duties.
Majority of the work is performed under normal office conditions and is required to meet many fixed ongoing organizational deadlines.
Knowledge and Skills:
- Diploma in Business Administration, Accounting or equivalent plus actively pursuing further education toward a Business Administration degree with an emphasis on accounting or an accounting designation (ACAF or CPA).
- Minimum of 3 years of computerized accounting experience preferably in a municipal setting.
- Excellent organizational skills, ability to prioritize and ability to multitask with minimal supervision.
- Ability to work and maintain accuracy under pressure and to meet critical deadlines.
- Strong analytical, client service and interpersonal skills.
- Proven written and oral communication skills.
- Ability to foster and maintain effective relationships among peers and/or stakeholders.
Examples of Equipment to Operate:
General office equipment with the ability to operate ERP software programs, budgeting software, spreadsheets, electronic mail, word processing, etc.
Quote Job Reference: 1310