City of Whitehorse
Whitehorse , YK
September 24, 2021
Job posting closes: Friday, September 24,2021 at 5:00 Yukon Standard Time
An Eligibility List may be established from this competition – the duration of the eligibility list may be up to 12 months. The eligibility list may be used to fill future permanent full-time, permanent part-time, temporary full-time, temporary part-time, term or casual vacancies within the same department and classification based on the organizational needs by going to the next highest-ranked candidate until the eligibility list expires.
This position is covered by a collective agreement between the City of Whitehorse and the Public Service Alliance of Canada/Yukon Employees Union.
The City wishes to thank all applicants for their interest but only those candidates selected to advance in the recruitment will be contacted. Note that only those candidates eligible to legally work in Canada will be considered.
Department: Land & Building
The incumbents enforce the Building/Plumbing Bylaw and Zoning Bylaw.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Inspects building projects for code compliance, specifies remedial action, prepares reports and investigates violations.
- Reviews and approves building plans and specifications, and issues permits.
- Follows, so far as is reasonably practicable, established safety procedures and standards.
- Issues occupancy, final approvals and summary conviction tickets and issues “stop work” orders as directed.
- Supplies professional expertise in relation to residential and commercial construction and interprets the Building Code and Building/Plumbing and Zoning Bylaws and acts as a resource regarding national Building Code Standards.
- Provides input to Building/Plumbing Bylaw revisions.
- Answers enquiries & assists with the processing of applications and issuing of Building/Plumbing and various Planning & Development permits as required.
- Acts as Supervisor Building Inspection as assigned.
This description contains elements necessary for identification and evaluation of the job. The incumbent may be required to perform other related duties.
Scheduled to work 8:30 am - 4:30 pm Monday to Friday for a 35-hour work week. Work outdoors a large portion of the time - exposed to extreme temperatures, inclement weather and health hazards when conducting site visits and completing inspections.
Required Knowledge, Skill and Abilities:
- Journeyman Certificate in plumbing or carpentry
- Entry level Building Officials Professional Certification - 7 hours
- Confined Space Entry - 7 hours
- Conflict Resolution Course - 21 hours
- Standard First Aid with CPR Level C - 14 hours
- Class 5 Driver's License
- Previous Experience - 5 years as a Journeyman with increasing levels of responsibility
- On-the-Job Experience – 6 Months
- Proven attention to detail, interpersonal, communication, conflict resolution & team building skills
An equivalent combination of education, training and experience may be considered.
Examples of Equipment to Operate:
Computer with applications such as Outlook, Word, Excel, Internet, ERP, Access to National Building, Plumbing and Fire codes, office equipment, calculator, camera, vehicle, small hand tools, communications equipment, safety equipment and ladders.
Quote Job Reference: 1292