Specialist, Child Services
City of Whitehorse
Whitehorse , YK
September 22, 2021
Job posting closes: September 22, 2021 at 5:00 pm (Yukon Standard Time)
An Eligibility List may be established from this competition – the duration of the eligibility list may be up to 12 months. The eligibility list may be used to fill future permanent full-time, permanent part-time, temporary full-time, temporary part-time, term or casual vacancies within the same department and classification based on the organizational needs by going to the next highest ranked candidate until the eligibility list expires.
This position is covered by a collective agreement between the City of Whitehorse and the Public Service Alliance of Canada/Yukon Employees Union.
The City wishes to thank all applicants for their interest but only those candidates selected to advance in the recruitment will be contacted. Note that only those candidates eligible to legally work in Canada will be considered.
Child Services Specialist
Department: Recreation and Facility Services
The incumbent provides program instruction and supervision for children and preschool programs, services and special events, and ensures a safe and welcoming environment is maintained.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provides supervision and instruction for children in a safe, caring and stimulating environment.
- Prepares and implements lesson plans and instructional material, prepares and submits statistical reports/records.
- Provides program set-up, maintains equipment inventories, and purchases program supplies.
- Ensures that order and cleanliness are maintained on a daily basis and advises appropriate staff person if additional cleaning or repairs are required.
- Answers or refers inquiries from the public and distributes program information.
- Communicates patrons’ feedback and contributes to discussions about the development of new programming.
- Assists with programming/supervision of children in relation to special events.
- Follows, so far as is reasonably practicable, established safety procedures and standards.
This description contains elements necessary for identification and evaluation of the job. The incumbent may be required to perform other related duties.
Exposure to noise and weather conditions when working around children and working outside.
Required Knowledge, Skill and Abilities:
- Completion of Grade 12
- Early Childhood Education Diploma or Child Care Diploma
- Current Standard First Aid and CPR Certification
- Previous Experience - Minimum of one year full-time employment in a child care or day care setting
- On–the-Job Experience - 4.5 months
- Excellent teamwork and communication skills
- Excellent planning and organizational skills
- Class 5 Drivers’ License
An equivalent combination of education, training and experience may be considered.
Examples of Equipment to Operate:
First Aid equipment, office equipment, computer with applications such as Outlook, Word, Excel and class and audio-visual equipment.
Quote Job Reference: 1300