Supervisor, Financial Reporting
City of Whitehorse
Whitehorse , YK
September 10, 2021
The incumbent oversees the daily operations of the financial reporting group which is responsible for financial reporting and processing such as Asset Accounting, Budgeting, Debenture Management, Grant Administration and General Accounting.
Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Oversee the annual budget process including: providing training to corporate staff, analyzing budget submissions, providing advice to senior management, preparing annual budget documents, analyzing and distributing quarterly variance reports.
2. Coordinate and prepare various financial reports and assist in the preparation of the annual report and financial statements.
3. Review and approve General Ledger entries and audit General Ledger accounts.
4. Design, implement and maintain standardized accounting practices and procedures.
5. Recommend and ensure adequate internal audit controls and trails are operating as designed.
6. Review and improve processes and procedures to enhance efficiency and effectiveness including implementation and maintenance of accounting systems.
7. Oversee interim and annual audit planning, working papers, and audit reporting; prepare reports, and communicate findings and recommendations to senior management.
8. Maintain accurate and complete financial records.
9. Supervise and provide leadership in all human resource areas, including recruitment, training and performance management.
10. Act as Manager, Financial Services as assigned.
11. Follow, so far as is reasonably practicable, established safety procedures and standards.
12. Other related duties. Category Business, Finance & Admin Position Requirements Working Conditions: Majority of the work is performed under normal office conditions and is required to meet many fixed ongoing organizational deadlines.
Required Knowledge, Skill and Abilities:
- Degree in Commerce, Accounting, Finance, Business Administration or related discipline complemented by a Chartered Professional Accountant (CPA) Designation.
- Minimum of 5 years of progressive accounting/budgeting/auditing experience in a municipal setting.
- Minimum 2 years demonstrated supervisory experience in an accounting environment.
- Strong understanding of GAAP and PSAB rules and regulations.
- Proven skills working with computerized financial systems software. Excellent organizational skills, ability to prioritize and ability to multitask with minimal supervision.
- Ability to work and maintain accuracy under pressure and to meet critical deadlines.
- Strong research, client service orientation and good interpersonal skills.
- Proven written and oral communication skills.
- Ability to foster and maintain effective relationships among peers and/or stakeholders.
- An equivalent combination of education, training and experience may be considered.
Examples of Equipment to Operate: General office equipment with the ability to operate ERP software programs, budgeting software, spreadsheet, electronic mail, word processing, etc.
Employment Contract YEU Local Y023
Range $46.74 - $54.99
Hours Per Week 5 X 7 Hours
Guaranteed Minimum Hours 35
Start Date of Position 10/1/2021
Quote Job Reference: 1293