Director, Portfolio Construction
Alberta Investment Management Corporation
Edmonton , AB
December 6, 2021
AIMCo (Alberta Investment Management Corporation) is currently seeking a permanent full-time Director, Portfolio Construction to join our team in our Edmonton office located at #1600 10250 – 101 Street NW, Edmonton, Alberta T5J 3P4.
We are one of Canada’s largest and most diversified investment managers.
We are guided by the core values of excellence, transparency, humility, integrity and collaboration. We are mindful and responsive to actively evaluating, assessing and optimizing risk to achieve superior performance for Albertans. We believe that every employee is empowered and accountable for managing risk.
As the Director, Portfolio Construction you will coach, manage and mentor a team committed to evolving AIMCo’s portfolio construction framework and strategies to the benefit of our clients. Working across the organization, you will be accountable to develop and implement portfolio construction framework that enables a deeper understanding of clients’ investment portfolio exposures and their fit with investment objectives. You will work with our Business Technology team to develop infrastructure and new tools to provide additional insights on sectors, factors and risk exposures to our clients in a robust and scalable manner. Together with your immediate team and other key stakeholders at AIMCo, you will engage directly with client groups as the subject matter expert with respect to client investment portfolio construction and related topics.
As Director, Portfolio Construction, some of your responsibilities will include:
- Overseeing the development of the client investment portfolio construction framework and subsequent implementation;
- Leading the review and assessment of core investment building blocks on AIMCo’s platform in conjunction with clients’ investment objectives;
- Utilizing a factor model framework to better understand and describe exposures of client investment portfolios;
- Leading the assessment and incorporation of analytical tools for investment research and portfolio construction; and
- Partnering with AIMCo’s Technology and other teams to develop an efficient, scalable and transparent infrastructure.
Skills and Experience Required
The ideal candidate will meet the following requirements:
- Master’s degree or doctorate in Financial Mathematics, Business, Finance, Economics, Statistics, Computer Science or Actuarial Science;
- Completion of CFA, PRM and / or FRM designations would be highly advantageous;
- 10+ years of experience in investment research and portfolio construction, with deep familiarity of Multi-Asset research, including an advanced understanding of individual asset classes;
- 5+ years of experience coaching, mentoring, guiding and supporting a team of researchers and analysts to the next level of professional success;
- Expert understanding of financial markets, financial concepts, investment strategies, investment products (specifically exotic products) and their underlying risk drivers;
- Deep familiarity with pricing, risk and calibration models for a variety of financial instruments and implementation of derivative based strategies;
- Demonstrated experience designing, estimating and implementing economic-related models;
- Advanced English communication skills, with a refined ability to foster collaborative relationships amongst internal and external stakeholder groups; and
- Demonstrates a strong commitment to AIMCo’s core values of excellence, transparency, humility, integrity and collaboration, and inspires the same in others.
Wage and Benefits
The wage for this position is $170,440 - $234,355 annually, based on experience, for at least 40 hours per week, with a potential for a bonus target payout of 82% and a max of 164%. Benefits include ongoing training, coaching and educational reimbursement programs; defined contribution pension plan; and health care spending account and onsite fitness facilities.