Senior Technical Writer - Oil & Gas
Remote , Multiple Canadian Locations
The Senior Technical Writer, Oil and Gas, designs and develops policies, standards, guidelines, procedural information, and training materials to support clients within the Oil and Gas sector. The Senior Technical Writer possesses and applies expertise to interview subject matter experts and conduct research and analysis necessary to produce accurate, comprehensive, effective, and concise information assets for various audience types.
- Researches, analyzes, authors, and edits technical documentation (text and diagrams) in compliance with client requirements, regulatory requirements, and industry standards. The documentation may be procedural or engineering focused and is used in the safe design, construction, and operation of energy infrastructure and systems
- Collaborates with clients [e.g., engineers, technical subject matter experts (SMEs)] to resolve issues, clarify content, and extract necessary information according to schedule.
- Designs information for conciseness, accuracy, effectiveness, and eliminates non-essential content
- Participates in customer reviews of authored content and makes requested updates in a timely manner.
- Participates in regular team meetings to share knowledge and ensure consistency within the documentation suite.
- Mentors and provides training to other technical writers; helps to onboard new writers.
- Promotes documentation best practices, including single sourcing, to reduce duplication of effort and delivery.
- Assists with reviews on documents and adheres to Quality Assurance practices prior to distributing information assets to the clients.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Possesses strong writing skills. Can understand complex processes and express them in clear language at the level of the intended audience.
- Demonstrates structured writing competencies.
- Knowledge of basic Oil and Gas industry processes and terminology.
- Research skills: knows how to find required information.
- Strong analysis and critical-thinking skills: distinguishes between necessary and irrelevant information; includes only what is needed.
- Strong logic and organizational skills: understands document flow and organizes content accordingly; recognizes and fills gaps in content.
- Detail oriented: accurately transcribes specification requirements and associated regulations and standards following provided style and formatting conventions.
- Proficient in a Microsoft Word authoring environment and SharePoint.
- Strong customer-facing written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to facilitate working and review sessions and gain consensus quickly.
- Manages time effectively. Can work under pressure and meet aggressive timelines.
- Collaborative, helpful to teammates. Shares knowledge. Knows when to ask for help.
- Open to feedback: incorporates lessons learned for continuous improvement.
- Needs minimum supervision.
- Takes pride in producing quality work.
- Familiarity with DITA XML and DITA authoring software.
- Familiarity with energy-industry regulations and standards.
- Capability to create Visio process flow and process control diagrams.
- Qualifications and Experience:
- Post-secondary degree or diploma, preferably in Technical Writing, Education, English, Engineering, Journalism (or equivalent experience).
- Minimum 7 years technical writing experience.
- Minimum 3 years experience in designing and developing documentation for the Oil and Gas industry.
- Has experience working collaboratively with remote team members and leveraging technologies to do so effectively.
Quote Job Reference: 1135