Chief Administrative Offcer
Rural Municipality of York
York , PE
May 28, 2021
Chief Administrative Officer (CAO)
The Rural Municipality of York is seeking applications for the position of Chief Administrative Officer (CAO).
The CAO is the administrative head of the municipality who is responsible for the overall administration of the municipality. This position is responsible to Council for the overall administration and financial management of the municipality. The CAO is the principal advisor to Council and is responsible for ensuring that Council is informed of their legislative responsibilities and authorities and all other relevant information necessary to make informed decisions on every municipal matter.
The successful candidate will possess the following:
- Proficient computer skills (MS Office, Word, Excel, Outlook & Sage 50);
- Strong organizational and communication skills;
- The ability to take on a variety of diverse roles including office administration, basic bookkeeping, preparation of budgets, financial reports, event planning, and applying for various government grants/initiatives;
- Knowledge and experience in minute and resolution preparation and drafting of bylaws with an exposure to, and an understanding of the Municipal Government Act (PEI) and other relevant municipal legislation is considered to be a very strong asset for this position, however, a combination of training and/or experience in another field will be considered.
Responsibilities and Duties:
- Develop and promote a strong working relationship with Council, understanding and respecting the specific role distinction of Council and administration;
- Prepare and organize agendas, resolutions and by-laws for all meetings of Council and attend all regular, and special meetings;
- Complete all documents, agreements, or contracts approved by Council;
- Answer all public requests, inquiries and/or complaints, ensuring a high standard of service to ratepayers and citizens.
- Responsible for the overall administration of the municipality in accordance with plans, policies, programs, by-laws and regulations established by elected officials and by various provincial statutes;
- Other administrative duties include running errands, sorting and sending mail, answering and responding to emails and phone calls and managing the municipality’s social media accounts.
- Prepare and present options for the annual financial plan for Council’s consideration, including the general operating budget, the capital budget and the five-year capital plan;
- Monitor the financial plan, including the preparation of a monthly bank reconciliation and financial statement and providing Council with up-to-date financial information on a regular and timely basis; identifying any exceptions, and as necessary, options to manage exceptions.
- Ensure that accurate records and books are kept of all the financial affairs of the municipality, i.e. accounts payable, accounts receivable and any investments;
- Ensure that all municipal expenditures receive necessary approval before payment is issued;
- Assist the municipality’s auditors to ensure completion of the annual financial audit.
Job Type: Part-time – 7.5 hours per week. Possibility of increase in hours at a later date.
Work Remotely: Yes, occasionally
Schedule: Day shift with some evenings required for regular and special Council meetings
Remuneration: To be negotiated based on skills/experience.
The Rural Municipality of York would like to thank all those interested in the position, however, only those considered for an interview will be contacted.