Project Marketing Coordinator & Webinar Host
Bamfield Marine Sciences Centre
Bamfield , BC
May 14, 2021
The Bamfield Marine Sciences Centre (BMSC) seeks a Project Marketing Coordinator & Webinar Host with an interest in science communication and outreach. The successful candidate will work under the supervision of the Lead Project Developer. This is a full-time term position, 8:30-4:30, Monday to Friday, for approximately one year (with potential for renewal). The successful applicant will work in an international community of marine scientists, with frequent opportunities to interact with researchers, instructors and students, to network, and attend seminars.
BMSC is undertaking an exciting new endeavor to empower our community to take steps towards climate change and ocean sustainability, and in the process, become more climate and ocean literate. The objective of this program is to develop awareness, knowledge, tools and skills for climate awareness and action via the production of quality online, interactive community webinars and accompanying podcasts with high production value and a wide reach. This series will highlight research and feature experts from a variety of fields and perspectives. This project will be unique from our #BMSCLive virtual programming, but will build on opportunities of working with a dynamic team in a stunning setting while working towards educating the general public.
Marketing and Communications – Responsibilities
- Works with the team to develop and set marketing strategies*
- Designs, writes, schedules, and monitors social media content across BMSC’s various social media channels related to the productions.
- Participates in online communities where our target audience is active.
- Schedules email marketing campaigns including ongoing newsletters and promotions.
- Reports on marketing performance via analytics tools to inform the content calendar and generate reports.
- Develops strategy to increase BMSC’s contact database and social media followers.
- Collects pre and post audience survey results and compiles final report at end of term.
- Assists with other related communications goals as needed.
*Marketing and communications duties will be specific to the webinar project and related initiatives; you will work with the BMSC Communications Developer to ensure synergy between this initiative’s and other BMSC communication activities.
Webinar Content Development and Delivery – Responsibilities
- Assists with story-boarding, writing copy, and designing the structure and branding of the webinars and content with BMSC and partners.
- Assists with developing and communicating with a list of potential panel experts for webinars.
- Provides instruction and training to panel experts prior to the webinars to promote smooth operations.
- Hosts the webinar series including: introducing the webinar, introducing the speakers and moderating a Q&A session.
- Moderates a separate, post-webinar, Q&A interview with experts based on prior audience questions (i.e. accompanying podcast).
- Works alongside the BMSC team to create and film asynchronous content for these webinars from locations within Barkley Sound (e.g., open ocean, coastal rainforest, intertidal, beach, aquaria at BMSC).
- Other duties as required.
- Post-secondary degree focused in marketing, advertising, communications, biological or environmental sciences, media development or similar (or several years’ experience in these fields).
- Excellent communicator, written and verbal. including interpersonal skills, ability to interact in a friendly and professional manner with a range of clients.
- Good experience and understanding of English language (copy-writing, editing).
- Detail-oriented with creative problem solving skills.
- Comfortable in a public speaking role and being on camera.
- Demonstrable experience in SEO, email marketing, social media marketing, and/or advertising campaigns.
- Relevant experience building relationships with digital community members.
- Background knowledge of biological, environmental or climate sciences.
- Adaptability: Ability to stay up-to-date, learn on the job, and build along the way.
- Open Communication: clearly conveys thoughts, both written and verbally, listening attentively and asking questions for clarification and understanding.
- Collaboration and Teamwork: works with others to deliver results, meaningfully contributing to the team.
- Creativity and Innovation: seeks new and better ways of doing things, generates original and imaginative ideas, products, or solutions.
- Knowledge of image analysis and graphic design software are assets but not required.*
- Basic video editing skills are an asset but not required.*
*The team includes a Production Assistant who will manage the technical side of things like studio set-up, webinar filming, podcast recording and uploading, video editing for asynchronous content etc. but experience in these areas is still an asset.
We are committed to an equitable, diverse, and inclusive campus that is accessible to all and free from harassment, bullying, and discrimination. The BMSC recognizes that diverse staff and clients benefit and enrich our workplace and the broader community. We are committed to removing barriers that have been, and continue to be, encountered by equity seeking groups, including women, Indigenous peoples, visible/racialized minorities, persons with disabilities, and LGBTQ+. We strive to recruit individuals who will further enhance our diversity and will support their professional success while they are here. Strong candidates will demonstrate awareness of issues relating to diversity and inclusion in the sciences and science communication fields including the need to make them more accessible to a broader range of students and audiences.
The salary for this position is $21.50/hour. The application deadline is 11:59pm PST on May 4th, 2021. Review of applications will begin on May 5th, 2021 and continue until the position is filled.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.