School Crossing Guard
Ottawa Safety Council
Ottawa , ON
Community Crossing Guard - Part Time, School Zone Safety
Do you want to make a difference in your community? Help make your community a safer place by applying to join the Ottawa Safety Council's dedicated team of Crossing Guards and help guard one (or more!) of over 300 intersections across the city.
Who is this job for?
- Responsible and reliable individuals
- Individuals who love the outdoors
- Have a Smart Phone to clock in and out
- Physically able to move at a brisk pace
How much money will I make?
- You'll earn $16.75 per shift,
- Shifts range from 40 minutes to 1 hour during morning and afternoon school bell times, Monday to Friday
- Shifts 1-2 hours receive an additional shift premium
Why become a Crossing Guard?
- You'll be contributing to your community by keeping children safe on their walk to and from school
- You will become a part of an inclusive, active and involved community of local crossing guards
- Meet new people in your neighbourhood and become an active, contributing member of your community!
What does a Crossing Guard do?
- Crossing Guards are responsible for ensuring that both children and adults pass safely through their assigned crossing, according to applicable safety standards and regulations
- Emergency On-call Crossing Guards are compensated to be available to take shifts as needed at a variety of intersections
- Direct or escort pedestrians across the street, stopping traffic as necessary
- Communicate traffic, crossing rules, and other information to students and adults
- Report unsafe student behaviour to school officials
- Inspect your intersection on a daily basis and report any unsafe conditions
- Monitor traffic flow to locate safe gaps through which pedestrians can cross
- Be aware of emergency vehicles approaching the area and ensure they have priority over vehicular and pedestrian traffic
- Record license plates of dangerous motorists and report to appropriate officials