Manufacturing Plant Manager (Foam Plant Manager - Polyurethane Foam Expert)
VPC Group Inc.
Calgary , AB
April 3, 2021
Business Information: VPC Group Inc. is a Canadian manufacturer specializing in converting chemicals and fibre into quality foam and nonwoven products for the home furnishing markets. A privately owned company, VPC Group is committed to creating a positive work experience for employees by providing them with a safe work environment and opportunities for growth. VPC Group has become a supplier of choice by committing to operational excellence, investing in technology, and being close to our customers to deliver exceptional service.
Business Address: 150 Toro Rd., North York, ON, M3J 2A9
Work Address: 3220 56 Ave South East, Calgary, AB, T2C 0B1
Type of Employment: Full time–Permanent
Estimated Start Date: As soon as possible
- Plan, organize, direct and schedule foam product production
- Plan and manage the establishment of departmental budget.
- Plan and implement changes to machinery and equipment, production systems and methods of work.
- Develop production schedules and maintain an inventory of raw materials and finished products. Ensure raw materials are received and properly labelled as per WHMIS regulation
- Develop equipment maintenance schedules and recommend the replacement of machines.
- Direct quality control inspections. Ensure that foam produced meet customer specifications and quality standards
- Lead continuous improvement initiatives
- Prepare and discuss costing, efficiency of chemical usage and reports
- Ensure safe operation of machinery, such as hoists, conveyors and saws, packing equipment
- Manages set up and shut down of fibre line equipment, ensuring strict procedural and maintenance guidelines are followed
- Monitor foam production process and ensure smooth operation with minimal waste
- Lead continuous improvement initiatives
- Education: Completion of a college or university program in chemical engineering or equivalent is required.
- Experience: At least 5 years of experience in manufacturing are required.
- Leadership experience in a unionized environment required
- Must be dependable, trustworthy and value accountability
- TDG training required
Technical Knowledge Required
- Master of chemical formulations
- Extensive knowledge and experience with Polyurethane foam manufacturing
- In-depth applied knowledge of Pour Line equipment (pour heads, conveyors, controls)
- Demonstrated ability to solve problems with tight deadlines and under pressure
- Pronounced ability to react to changes and make critical decisions quickly
- Mathematical skills, understanding and ability to set parameters ability to think and act logically
- Demonstrated ability to identify and troubleshoot technical problems
- Process oriented with a technical aptitude
- Computer savvy – must be able to use Microsoft Outlook, experience using ERP system an asset
- Motivated self-starter
- Positive attitude/energy
- High sense of urgency and initiative
- Ability to work until the job is complete
Health and Safety
- High regard for safety of self and others
- High attention to detail and regard for following procedures; ensures others do as well
- Demonstrated tact and experience in handling hazardous materials
- Serve as an example in abiding by all safety policies, procedures and best practices
- Identify, report and avoid all hazards
- Operate with safety in mind at all times
- Report any near misses and encourage other to do the same
- Hands on leader, leads by example
- Encourages and shows appreciation for team member contributions
- Involves team in decision making process
- Ability to motivate team to keep working until job is done
- Generates excitement around achievement of goals
- Keeps team focused, calm and responsive under pressure
- Strong command of the English language (must be able to read, write and speak fluently)
- Ability to present information and discuss alternatives with senior management
- Ability to engage line workers and provide direction in manner that is understood by different personalities
Salary: $48.07 per hour, 40 hours per week.
We provide disability benefits, extended medical insurance and dental insurance benefits, pension plan benefits
Work schedule is from Monday to Friday, from 7:00 am to 3:30 pm.