Applied Swine Research Scientist
South West Ontario Veterinary Services
November 25, 2021
South West Veterinary Services is a veterinary practice serving the pork production industry. Their vision is to operate a practice that meets the needs of pork producers in Canada by providing a comprehensive service that includes veterinary care, health services, farm management, owner and sta training and on farm assistance. The company seeks to bring swine production to the highest levels of care and management by supporting farms in their development and in their day to day operations.
NOC: NOC 2121 - Biologists and Related Scientists
JOB BANK # 1589034
WORK ADDRESS: 500 Wright Blvd., Stratford, ON, N4Z 1H3
WORK LOCATION: Farm, Rural Area , Office
TYPE OF POSITION: Full-time, Permanent
AREA OF SPECIALIZATION: Swine
MAIN JOB DUTIES
- Work collaboratively and proactively with research team, veterinarians, farm managers, producers, and clients.
- Perform literature reviews, summarize, and apply findings.
- Liaison with project sponsors to define and design research trials (including analytic plans), provide progress updates, and deliver final reports.
- Oversee research protocols in collaboration with Research Associates.
- Support the development of project budgets.
- Conduct or oversee data analysis and meaningful interpretation of data.
- Investigate, evaluate, and implement new technologies to improve efficiencies.
- Maintain and build a network of professional contacts through participation in industry and scientific associations, including peer-reviewed publications and presentations.
- Forge highly competitive R&D collaborations.
- Provide thought leadership with SWARE enterprise lead, lead veterinarian, and research manager to guide priorities and create a special class of business.
- Other tasks as required.
- Demonstrated experience in swine research and/or large animal research is an asset.
- Demonstrated skills in statistical analysis, R experience would be an asset.
- Skilled at working independently and with stakeholders, taking initiative, and problem solving.
- Detail oriented, strong organizational and planning skills.
- Advanced user of MS Office to create spreadsheets, reports, and presentations.
- Passionate about agriculture and livestock production.
- Able to work in both office and farm environments.
- Drive for Results: Sets high standards, tenaciously works to meet timelines, and derives satisfaction from continuous improvement.
- Relationship Management: Establishes and builds healthy working relationships with internal and external partners.
- Written & Spoken Communications: Presents information appropriately to a diverse range of audiences and influences management and team decisions.
- Strategy Execution: Develops goals, ideas and initiatives that support organizational performance, lower costs, and innovative thinking.
EXPERIENCE AND EDUCATION
- Work Experience Required: 3-5 years in a related setting
- Minimum Education Required: DVM, PhD degree related to Veterinary Sciences or related animal health field.
- Driver’s License is an asset. Travel between farm properties and office will be required and transportation will be provided as needed.
COMPENSATION AND HOURS
Salary: $120,000.00 CAD per year
Hours per day: 8
Hours per week: 40
Overtime starts after: 44
Vacation: 4% or 10 days as per ESA
Group benefits will be made available
English workplace language