Sr Manager, WMA D&D (FM/ILW Facilities)
Canadian Nuclear Laboratories
November 1, 2020
- Manage the cost, schedule, scope and technical performance of a portfolio of Whiteshell Laboratories (WL) Closure Projects through an Earn Value Management System as defined in the project performance baseline. Accountable to the Deputy General Manager, WL.
- Manage a highly visible CNL First of a Kind Equipment (FOAKE) life cycle cost project of $200M across Design, Fabrication, Commissioning, and Operations that spans five years with staffing from 30 to 80 personnel when operating. Ensure that WL Closure Project work is performed safely and in compliance with requirements of the Site License and Facility Authority.
- Responsible for applying the WL Decommissioning QA Program requirements, and its supporting procedures, in project activities.
- This position is at a director level and is the backup for the Director of Waste Management and delegate for other senior positions at site
- A Baccalaureate in a science or engineering subject, including formal training in radiation protection, or 20 years of directly related experience in the nuclear field with a focus on decommissioning and radiological waste management, and demonstrated program/project management experience.
Experience & Expertise
- 15 years of professional experience in areas of increase responsibilities managing nuclear waste retrieval projects with preferable experience on life cycle projects.
- A minimum of 5 years’ experience in program/project management including experience leading project teams and First of a Kind Equipment (FOAKE) application on a major project.
- A minimum of 5 years’ of continuous experience in commercial or government nuclear decommissioning or 10 years of nuclear waste management operations with direct experience in areas of waste retrieval and characterization.
- Experienced in the management of a wide range of technical personnel including operations, engineering, criticality safety, waste management, radiation protection and environmental.
Abilities and Skills
- Must have a strong grounding in the technical and regulatory dimensions of nuclear operations, decommissioning and program planning, and demonstrated ability to apply regulations and standards appropriately and communicate same.
- Must have demonstrated strong skills, to support and articulate the organization's vision/mission at all levels, and have a proven ability to achieve results through others.
- Ability to Chair or be a Technical Sponsor at meetings with strong communication skills, both written and oral, to communicate with a variety of participants, organizations and at a variety of levels to shape the outcome of the meeting to desired results.
- Provide exceptional reporting and communication on project status, with emphasis on resolving issues and correcting variances to plans.
- Initiate and maintain productive relationships with internal service providers (e.g., Skilled Trades, Engineering, Radiation Protection, Strategic Planning, Nuclear Facilities, Procurement, and compliance/regulatory programs).
- Experience and technical background sufficient to lead strategic planning, development and execution of best practices in waste management.
- Comprehensive knowledge of CNL's corporate objectives, business operations, policies and procedures, and a strong sense of the prevailing industry and regulatory culture - and a wide network of contacts across throughout the nuclear waste management industry and demonstrated ability to leverage these contacts to accomplish objectives and grow the business.
Job/Industry Specific Knowledge
- A working knowledge of federal and provincial regulations that impact on decommissioning and waste management, including those of the Nuclear Safety Act.
- Proven waste characterization experience to ensure proper segregation and characterization and Waste Acceptance Criteria is met during development of the program procedures and during waste retrieval operations.
- Lead the business and strategic planning of the Division, and contribute to business and strategic planning of the department business line.
- Ability to work with the executive level of Supplier organizations to resolve technical and commercial issues and ensure project is executed as plan.
If you have the skills and experience required for this position, please forward your resume to: