Chief Executive Officer
Communities Economic Development Fund
July 31, 2020
Our client, Communities Economic Development Fund (CEDF) is seeking an enthusiastic and entrepreneurial Chief Executive Officer to drive the Look North initiative in Northern Manitoba.
The Look North initiative is led by CEDF, a Manitoba Crown Corporation that has operated in northern Manitoba since 1973. In March of 2019, CEDF was named by the Province as the organization best suited to carry out the Look North initiative because of its long-standing relationship to northern Manitoba and its peoples. CEDF has the depth of knowledge required and the right people to transform northern economies.
Look North is a movement for northerners, by northerners to grow the economy in northern Manitoba. It is a long-term vision and plan to unleash the economic potential of the North for generations to come.
The Look North initiative was set in motion by the Province of Manitoba in 2016, and is deeply rooted in the principle that the people of the North best understand their needs. Through extensive and ongoing engagement with both Indigenous and non-Indigenous communities, businesses, industry and labour leaders, a vision of growth and prosperity for northern Manitoba that is inclusive of all perspectives has been developed.
Based in Thompson, Manitoba, the incumbent will follow the Look North strategy that the Board of Directors has developed, apply vision to the execution of the strategy, and kick-start the organization into new directions.
- Provide leadership on implementing the strategic direction of the Look North Initiative set by the Board
- Manage the annual budget, with federal and provincial considerations
- Providing managerial oversight in the implementation of the strategic plan, the corporate plan and the annual budget
- Acting as a main contact within the organization, speaking on behalf of the Board of Directors
- Manage a staff of 12 – 15
- Travel between CEDF locations in The Pas, Thompson, Churchill, and Winnipeg to meet stakeholders face-to-face, when required
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE & KNOWLEDGE
- A minimum of 10 years’ experience in the role of a CEO or at the senior executive level, post- secondary education in business, business administration or finance combined with or an equivalent combination of education and experience, is required
- A broad understanding of Economic Development and/or experience working in Economic Development is an asset
- Knowledgeable in provincial and federal politics and governance
- Understanding of Indigenous communities and engagement
- Consultation skills and strong understanding of resource development projects (e.g. mining, forestry, etc.)
- Existing relationships at provincial and federal level of government and with First Nations are an asset
- Experience working with Indigenous communities, regional or national level is preferred
- Experience working with Federal/Provincial governments, preferably at a senior executive level, would be considered as asset
- Knowledge of the nature of intergovernmental relationships among First Nations communities, their political organizations, federal and provincial governments is an asset
- Experience with Human Resources, organizational development
- Able to work remotely, and flexibility to travel
If you would like more information about this position, please contact Lisa Cefali, Partner, Executive Search & Strategic Development at (204) 934-8833 or visit https://bit.ly/CEDFLN-CEO
Quote Job Reference: 203152