Chief Executive Officer
First Nations Financial Management Board
June 30, 2020
The First Nations Financial Management Board (the “FMB”) is an Indigenous-led national organization with staff across the country that provide services to First Nations and First Nation organizations across Canada.
FMB is committed to providing support to First Nations by providing tools, capacity development, guidance and monitoring that will implement finance and governance structures that will give First Nations and First Nation organizations confidence and integrity that will result in strong community development. Many new and exciting opportunities are currently presenting themselves to First Nations for the first time and the FMB sees itself as being responsible for providing First Nations with the capacity to maximize on these opportunities to its fullest extent.
Based in Vancouver, BC the CEO will be a strong business leader who takes change in stride, aligning and adjusting milestones and objectives to maintain a forward momentum and achievement of outcomes. In addition, the CEO will provide leadership in the operationalizing of the Board’s vision for FMB.
The CEO is accountable to the Board of Directors through the Executive Chair for delegated decision making as defined in the Fiscal Management Act legislative framework and the FMB Accountability Framework.
- Providing leadership on implementing the strategic direction of the FMB set by the Board in close consultation with the Executive Chair and the Board;
- Working closely with the Executive Chair and the Board of Directors to ensure that the FMB fulfills its mandate;
- Providing guidance and support to the Executive Chair on the establishment of Committees of the Board and the effective management of Board and Committee meetings;
- Implementing legislative regulations as set out by the FMA under the direction of the Executive Chair and the Board of Directors;
- Providing managerial oversight in the development and implementation of the strategic plan, the corporate plan and the annual budget;
- Ensuring that the CEO and the organization are held to the highest ethical and professional standards by demonstrating ethical behaviour, and training and mentoring staff;
- Promoting FMB to First Nations, the financial industry, funding agencies and the wider community;
- Acting as a main contact within the organization, speaking on behalf of the Board of Directors, in conjunction with the Executive Chair.
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE & KNOWLEDGE
- A post- secondary education in business, business administration or finance combined with a minimum of 10 years’ experience in the role of a CEO or at the senior executive level, or an equivalent combination of education and experience, is required;
- A professional designation in specific area such accounting, management, or business is a definite asset and/or an exceptional combination of education AND experience;
- Corporate leadership at the CEO or senior executive level in a complex field of endeavour with a proven track record in the advancement of a Board’s mandate – vision – and strategies;
- Experience working with First Nations at a community, regional or national level is preferred
- Experience working with Federal/Provincial governments, preferably at a senior executive level, would be considered as asset;
- Knowledge of the governance, economic and fiscal context of FN and Indigenous not-for-profit organizations in support of the implementation of UNDRIP;
- Knowledge of the nature of intergovernmental relationships among First Nations communities, their political organizations, federal and provincial governments;
- Ability to develop effective working relationships with the Board of Directors – First Nations and First Nation organizations and stakeholders;
- Must be fluent in English (spoken and written);
- Fluency in French or an Indigenous language is considered an asset.
If you would like more information about this position, please contact Grant Smith, Waterhouse Executive Search at (604) 806-7715, or Donna Bilodeau at (204) 934-8825.
Quote Job Reference: FMB-CEO