Manager of Transportation
M.D of Bonnyville No.87
June 8, 2020
This position is responsible to plan, coordinate and manage all operation and maintenance activities for the municipality’s Transportation and Utilities Department. This role includes, but is not limited to capital planning and delivery of capital projects involving roads, bridges, and surface drainage.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Manage and supervise the work of the transportation staff and discuss priorities and schedules with the General Manager of Infrastructure Services.
- Provide positive leadership and guidance to transportation staff.
- Manage the maintenance and repair of all municipal roadways, roadside areas and related drainage work and installation in accordance with required service levels and priorities.
- Establish an outline of roadway dust control programs and priority guidelines for municipal road system.
- Develop and implement a brushing program to address roadside safety.
- Manage a program for the assembly and maintenance of required signage and safety devices.
- Determine the requirement for gravel crushing and manage gravelling program.
- Assist in developing a capital plan and the delivery and management of capital projects with the assistance of contractors and engineering consultants.
- Assist in developing and implementing the Asset Management Plan.
- Prepare preliminary cost estimates for potential or desirable future works to facilitate consideration for approval and prioritization.
- Develop terms of reference for required consultant services and solicit and evaluate proposals with a recommendation for consultant activities.
- Schedule and coordinate the preparation of tender documentation, receipt of tenders and the recommendation of a contractor for road improvement.
- Schedule and arrange for preliminary survey designs, engineering, construction activities and necessary land acquisitions to facilitate timely implementation of an approved road program.
- Manage and coordinate contract supervision, cost control and where required measurement and quantity of certification of contractor payment.
- Collaborate with the Manager of Infrastructure to coordinate programs for the maintenance, repair, replacement and acquisition of equipment or related facilities.
- University or Technical/Community College graduate or equivalent in business administration, commerce, engineering, planning and development or other related fields.
- Post-Secondary education in civil engineering, transportation and utilities management, human resource management and leadership is preferred.
- Minimum of five (5) years of progressively more responsible experience in a municipal environment.
- Excellent interpersonal skills with demonstrated leadership ability.
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written.
Visit http://www.md.bonnyville.ab.ca/jobs.aspx for a full job description