For Engineering Firm
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Supports the organization in the formulation, drafting, negotiation and review of contracts, clauses, and amendments, including Requests for Proposals (RFPs) and Proposals received or submitted by VIRTUAL, in consultation with the applicable VIRTUAL functional units and any legal counsel (internal, external or retained), as well as contributing to approvals and close-out of all contracts and like agreements entered into by VIRTUAL, to help with (non-exhaustive):
- Effectively addressing the business needs
- Compliance with regulatory and corporate requirements
- Effective management of legal and business risks
- Protection of VIRTUAL intellectual property
- Reviews contracts for adequacy, appropriateness and completeness in terms of indemnity, liability, confidentiality, intellectual property protection, deliverables, payment terms, regulatory compliance, and any other applicable issues that may pose legal or business risk for VIRTUAL, to help ensure the contracts are in compliance with VIRTUAL policies and practice.
- Ensures timely contracts review to meet the needs of the business units. Assists in identifying other areas or functional units (i.e. IT, Purchasing, Marketing) that have a material interest in the contract, or whose involvement is required to adequately assess and mitigate the risks identified in accordance with VIRTUAL policies.
- Participates in the review, development and implementation of corporate policies and procedures as necessary to effectively manage risk.
- In collaboration with VIRTUAL Legal Counsel, develops, modifies, and evaluates template contracts and other tools designed to standardize and simplify the contracting process.
- Provides input to the design, development, implementation and ongoing maintenance and operation of systems to meet contract and other legal document management needs of VIRTUAL and to help ensure compliance with records management policies and procedures.
- Develops and delivers training for the business units on contract related policies, procedures, templates, tools and systems, and provides advice and guidance as required.
- Continually seeks opportunities and makes recommendations for improving the effectiveness, efficiency, and quality of processes to mitigate risks through application of sound contract and records management practices, and for improving contract and records management policies, procedures and practices.
- Liaises with the business to assist the Legal and Brand Protection Departments to predict future resource requirements for contract drafting, review and approvals; provides input to business planning, budgets and resource determinations accordingly.
- Draft correspondence and perform general office and clerical duties and administrative tasks
- Provide support and assistance in preparing correspondence, and assisting in creating legal materials
- Receive telephone calls and relay information and personally handle calls of a routine nature
- Responsible for photocopying and organizing correspondence, files and other materials, and provide administrative support
- Human resources support such as: updating policy manuals and benefits administration
- Document/docket management
- Bachelor’s Degree, College Diploma or equivalent experience in the field of contract management and/or as a paralegal
- Legal degree or business degree would be an asset
- 2-5 years of experience in contract management, including drafting and/or evaluating RFPs, Proposals, Contracts and Amendments.
- Experience in:
- Negotiating contractual terms with a third party on behalf of a client
- Preparing policies and procedures
- Developing and delivering training
- Experience working with governments and not-for-profit organizations would be considered an asset.
- Familiarity with a wide variety of agreement types, including procurement contracts, service agreements, and non-monetary agreements such as copyright agreements, non-disclosure agreements, memoranda of understanding, etc.
- Familiarity with different methods and systems for creating, capturing, storing, accessing and reporting on agreements and related documents and records
- Excellent writing and communication skills, as well as significant experience with contract work
- Works independently and can confidently manage negotiations
- Understanding of typical business and procurement procedures
- Excellent English written and oral communication skills required to communicate with staff and management at all levels, as well as customers, vendors, and the public
- Ability to communicate with tact and diplomacy, and to deal with highly confidential information
- Excellent attention to detail
- Very good perception management and relationship management skills
- Familiarity with the Office suite and cloud-style file management systems
If you have the skills and experience required for this position, please forward your resume to: