Director of Parks, Recreation & Culture
M.D of Bonnyville No.87
May 15, 2020
The Director of Parks, Recreation & Culture is responsible to coordinate and direct all activities required to plan, develop, and operate the Parks, Recreation & Culture Department and the Kinosoo Ridge Snow Resort within the Municipality.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Demonstrate leadership, direction, and accountability to the Manager and Administrative Assistant of Parks, Recreation & Culture, including the Manager and Assistant Manager of Kinosoo Ridge Snow Resort, and all staff within these department.
- Consult and advise on matters of facilities, operations, and board operations.
- Ability to interact effectively to develop cooperative working relationships with internal and external customers.
- Work independently to create procedures identifying priorities within policy, regulatory and budgetary guidelines.
- Provide governance in accordance to legislation, municipal administrative policies, contractual agreements, federal, and provincial statues.
- Purchase of goods and services consistent with regulations in respect to health and safety, design, construction, and material requirements for utility infrastructure as governed by industry standards of practice and code of ethics.
- Apply, monitor, and research grant funding applications for the municipality and community groups.
- Ability to develop, draft, understand, and review scope of work for recreational capital projects.
- Review of insurance coverage, facility inspections and risk management issues involving legal liability.
- Manage and collaborate with the Parks Manager in the operation and maintenance of boat launches, playgrounds, ball diamonds, trails, and owned or leased campgrounds.
- Oversee the department’s management team on long term planning, budgeting, and project development.
- Act as a liaison with various urban centers, negotiating joint use agreement and cost sharing requests for rural residents utilizing town facilities.
- Maintain a strategic plan design with the General Manager of Planning & Community Services to keep the municipality viable, increasing prosperity for the long term.
- Manage projects as derived from the recreation master plans.
- Assist with policy development for recreation facilities, youth sport development, levels of service and risk assessment.
- Remain well-informed with changing trends within the recreation industry.
- Develop, plan, and implement a Kinosoo Ridge All-Season Resort Master Plan.
- Collaborate with the Kinosoo Ridge Snow Resort Manager with the overall activities, guest service programs, safety, operations, and maintenance of the ski resort ensuring goals are obtained.
- Degree in management, recreation administration or equivalent and 5 years’ experience.
- Experience in parks, campground operations, snow sport facilities, the Society’s Act, non-profit organizational effectiveness, and a broad-based knowledge of community development is an asset.
- Project Management skills and experience.
- Knowledge of provincial and federal grant application processes.
- Highly developed interpersonal communication and public relations skills.
- Demonstrated success in building a productive and effective management team.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Proficient conceptual and/or creative skills.
- Advanced negotiation skills in situations having limited routine or structure.
- Extensive experience in ski resort operations.
- Proficient with Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
Please visit http://md.bonnyville.ab.ca/jobs.aspx for a full job description.