Aquaculture Labourer Technician
Icy Waters Ltd.
HOURS: Full Time
WAGE: $18.50 per hour
Icy Waters Ltd. is an aquaculture company dedicated to the development, growth, processing, and sale of premium Arctic Charr and “Yukon Gold” Arctic Charr ova. The 25 + year old Canadian company believes that all employees be directly involved in production from “egg to plate”.
We are seeking applicants to fill (2) two full time permanent positions, 37.5 hours per week, as an experienced Aquaculture Labourer Technician. Work will involve all areas of the farm including brood and ova production, hatchery and tank farm grow out and processing.
- Handle Broodstock and spawn fish, handle eggs
- Fish husbandry - Feed, handle, monitor fish stocks daily
- Grade, weigh, measure, tag, vaccinate, and cull fish
- Harvest and process fish
- Monitor water quality, operate, clean and maintain pumps filters, tanks
- Record data accurately
- Comply with all regulatory, safety and company procedures
- Participate in after hours alarm rotation
- Maintain a clean work area
- Reliability to report to work as scheduled including weekdays, weekends, night rounds, irregular hours
The Qualities and Skills preferred include:
- Graduate of an Aquaculture diploma or degree program with focus on salmonids
- Minimum (6) six months experience with arctic charr production including husbandry, spawning, egg and fish handling, harvest and processing
- Experience and/or education in aquaculture, animal husbandry, farming, or a related science
- Aquaculture experience with broodstock spawning, egg handling, vaccination, tagging, feeding, grading
- Work effectively in a fast-paced environment, sometimes under time constraints
- Physically fit to stand, lift and carry 50 lbs, and to do repetitive work in cold, wet environment, both indoors and outdoors.
- Good communication and interpersonal skills
- Ability to communicate effectively in English
- Computer experience with Excel, Word and email and with data base
- Self-starter - able to work independently
- Valid Driver’s license or ability to obtain a Valid Driver license within 4 months of employment
- Proof of ability to work in Canada
Candidate must be able to provide a satisfactory security and criminal record check for the past five years within the first two weeks of hire.