Technical Sales Representative
Steiner Search Group Executive/Management Search
Reporting to the Sr. Vice President & Managing Director - Canada, this position is an integral part of the projected growth in this territory. The Technical Sales Representative will work closely with the Construction Manager, Technical Manager, Project Manager, VP and Field Superintendents. This individual will effectively and profitably manage a selected customer base and also develop new accounts and markets in a way that meets and exceeds customer expectations and enhances the company’s reputation in the marketplace.
Essential Responsibilities and Duties:
- Builds relationships with existing customers and expands business opportunities within them
- Updates system to track customer contacts with each call, and uses such a system to follow up with customers; provides sales reports to the Prairies Regional Manager every two weeks
- Face to face visits with each existing customer a minimum of once per year, and as often as needed to maintain/foster the relationship
- Research and develop the market for new customers by recognizing where refractories are used and the process for use
- Identifies prospects for new business through various means; makes cold calls over the phone and in person to establish what equipment the prospective customer has, who supplies and installs it
- Assigns quote information to the Construction Manager for preparation; prior to presentation of the quote, works with the Construction Manager to assign margins and finalize the quote
- Advances the sale from initial contact to presentation of the quote to the customer; builds a relationship with the customer throughout the sales process by ensuring the customer has all information needed to make an informed decision on the products and services offered; responds to messages in a timely manner and follows up as needed
- Negotiates all aspects of the quote/sale, including material pricing, labour rates, services such as scaffolding and welding
- Upon approval of the sale from the customer, ensures the PO matches the quote with respect to dates, start dates, and supplies; hands the sale over to the Project Coordinator for implementation
- Follows up with the customer and the Project Coordinator once the project is underway or completed to ensure implementation unfolds as promised
- Responds in a timely, complete, and professional manner to all inquiries and communications between the customers, prospects, and the company;
- Attends and actively participates in quarterly sales meetings and annual meeting in January
Education and Experience Required:
- Minimum NAIT diploma in a technical trade or field of study such as mechanical engineering, or construction
- Able to read and interpret construction drawings (blue prints)
- Fluency in common business software applications, such as Excel, Maximizer, Word, PowerPoint
- Project management or design experience an asset
- Industrial sales experience an asset
- Relationship oriented
- Able and willing to travel 50-60%: Road travel to Ft. Mac and the Western half of Alberta and surrounding area along with the North & South East Quadrants (Alberta Time Zones) of BC.
Skills and Attributes Required:
Adaptable: Willing and able to adjust to multiple demands, shifting priorities, ambiguity, and rapid change; shows resilience in the face of constraints, frustrations, or adversity, is not knocked off balance by the unexpected.
Relationship Builder: Develops effective give-and-take relationships with others; understands the agendas and perspectives of individuals and/or groups; approachable and open to the views of others
Customer Focused: Anticipates customer needs and takes action to meet the needs of both internal and external customers; responds quickly to customer inquiries; continually searches for ways to increase customer satisfaction.
Trustworthy: Shows consistency among principles, values, and behaviour; builds trust with others through own authenticity and follow-through on commitments.
Results Oriented and Resilient: Drives for results and success; pursues goals with a sense of urgency; persists despite obstacles and opposition. Actively handles high work demands and demonstrates the ability to stay focused and accomplish goals.
Technical/Functional Expertise: Possesses up-to-date knowledge and is regarded as an expert in the technical/functional area; accesses and uses other expert resources when appropriate.
Base Salary and uncapped commissions, vehicle, full expenses, benefits, RRSP, holidays.
This position is very stable with an organization in the industrial maintenance, heavy construction sector.
If you have the skills and experience required for this position, please forward your resume to: