Chief Administrative Officer
Harris Leadership Strategies
The Pas, MB
February 28, 2020
The Pas is one of the oldest and most striking settlements in Northern Manitoba. Located at the confluence of the Pasquia River and the Saskatchewan River, The Pas is approximately 630 km Northwest of Winnipeg, and 40 km from the border of Saskatchewan. Boasting one of the three true blue lakes in existence, outdoor adventure abounds set to the raw natural beauty that attracts visitors from around the world. Incorporated in 1912, The Town of The Pas has grown beyond its longstanding resources of trapping and fishing to the Gateway to the North – a bountiful, proud, and progressive community now firmly based upon a solid and diversified industrial foundation of agriculture, forestry, transportation, and tourism. With a population of approximately 5,500+, the Town of The Pas continues to grow as a vibrant regional service centre. Through responsible leadership and effective resource management, the community continues to be strengthened by providing quality services and economic growth to its people.
Reporting to Council, the Chief Administrative Officer is responsible for the overall administrative management of the Town of The Pas; including personnel, programs and policies of the town in order to ensure the implementation of Council’s vision in an effective and efficient manner in accordance with Provincial Legislation and local by-laws. The successful incumbent will have exceptional operational skills coupled with the ability to actively pursue new opportunities while maintaining collaborative working relations with other communities in the region, to provide citizens with an affordable, safe, clean and healthy environment.
We are seeking a diplomatic and effective leader with well-developed management skills, strong financial acumen and a collaborative, open, honest and direct interpersonal style. Executive candidates with a proven track record running multi-disciplinary private or public sector organizations are also encouraged to apply. This position offers a professional challenge and an opportunity to make a significant contribution to the continued success and growth of a progressive and energetic community.
- Provide strategic and financial planning management expertise to Council & ensure operational effectiveness for each municipal department;
- Provide support & advice to the Council on policies, programs, new initiatives & fiscal matters;
- Assist Council in the preparation & execution of long-term strategies for growth & development;
- Act as an effective liaison between the Council, staff and the community;
- Develop and implement Municipal by-laws, contracts or agreements as directed by Council;
- Mentor, provide leadership and direction to the senior management team, with a focus on administrative and operational excellence, meeting frequently to coordinate departments.
- Ensure the cost-effective implementation of capital projects initiatives in progress;
- Research and recommend a comprehensive staffing and infrastructure strategy to support the continued growth of The Pas;
- Maintain accurate and confidential record keeping, minute taking and ensure information is stored securely in accordance with the privacy legislation requirements;
- Supervise and assume general responsibility for all real estate matters;
- Build and maintain strong partnerships with all levels of government and the community.
- Post-Secondary degree in Public Administration, Business Administration, Commerce or related discipline;
- Completion of University of Manitoba Municipal Administration course or equivalent certificate from a recognized University;
- Minimum of 5 years senior management experience in a municipal and/or business environment;
- Experience reporting to a Council or Board and working with elected officials;
- Proven ability to develop and mobilize people to achieve a shared vision and implement strategies;
- Exceptional skills in strategic planning, finance, human resources management and operations in a multi-faceted organization;
- Experience & training in community/economic/business development;
- Politically astute, visionary leader and solid decision maker with strong business acumen and a high level of integrity;
- Outstanding communication and interpersonal skills.
If you have the skills and experience required for this position, please forward your resume to:
Quote Job Reference: 20112