Vice President - Chinese Markets
Hans Steel Canada
Hans Steel Canada provides engineering, fabrication, installation, construction and project management services to large clients, including the structural steel industry, utility transmission towers, large transportation projects, telecom towers, industrial, commercial and institutional buildings and monopoles. With a 140,000 square foot steel fabrication plant located in Stouffville, Ontario, Canada, and world-class cutting-edge machines with advanced automation, we pride ourselves on accuracy, efficiency and project delivery.
Hans Steel Canada believes that employment with us is a valuable relationship and we take a keen interest in the success of our employees. We believe that a career with Hans Steel is as important to the company as it is to the individual, and we look for individuals who are committed and passionate about their work.
Hans Steel is seeking an exceptional, talented individual to fulfill the role of Vice President of International Strategic Operations, a key executive position in the company. Although Hans Steel prides itself on its Canadian manufacturing operation, we also value our international partners, in particular our engineering, manufacturing, equipment and materials partners in China. The VP of International Strategic Operations will plan, implement, and monitor Hans Steel’s long-term procurement strategy in China, and will oversee and coordinate the company’s relationships with Chinese suppliers, agents and business partners.
We are located at 6 Sangster Road, Stouffville, Ontario, L4A 7X4. This is a full-time, permanent position requiring 37.50 hours per week and offering a salary of $115,050 /annum. The company offers 3 weeks vacation per annum.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Propose, implement, track and refine business strategies relating to China;
- Develop a system of operational and financial controls, working closely with senior management to identify proper procedures and methodologies to ensure efficiencies and minimize risk;
- Oversee the development of a comprehensive budget to realize the China strategy; monitor and report regularly;
- Build, nurture and grow strategic alliances in China, understanding the unique business, cultural and other factors affecting business relationships; Act as the formal representative and face of the company in China;
- Manage, control and supervise the company’s purchasing, procurement and importation of materials, equipment, engineering and manufacturing technology and know-how, such as Building Information Modelling and related technologies;
- Identify innovative technologies, products and material, negotiate relevant contracts and ensure all specifications and standards are met or exceeded;
- Initiate and manage innovation in operations and project management;
- Ensure adequate resources are expended to drive innovation and reform in the company;
- Identify, train and evaluate talented internal senior managers and related staff and recruit external talent as required to realize the strategy; review performance, motivate and reward staff.
Qualifications and Skills
- Postgraduate degree in engineering, engineering or manufacturing technology or relevant field;
- 10+ years of management experience in:
- An engineering company, with an understanding of project management, planning, design, implementation and operation, including large-scale projects and structural steel infrastructure
- Strategic planning, budgeting, analysis, technological innovation and operations in engineering;
- 10+ years of experience in developing key relationships with manufacturing, technology, equipment and materials partners and suppliers in China
- Strong understanding of engineering innovation, technology, information technology, products and solutions, including BIM;
- Deep understanding and experience in innovating and implementing digital reform in the civil engineering industry;
- Strong understanding of project management, quality standards and streamlined supply chains for structural steel sourced from China to be used in large-scale infrastructure projects;
- Strong understanding of the usage of structural steel for concrete and foundation reinforcement;
- Familiar with ERP project management software and ISO quality management systems;
- Fluent in Mandarin, including the ability to read, write and discuss highly technical information;
- Strong communication, organizational and leadership skills.