Indigenous Mental Health Outreach Worker
Durham Mental Health Services
The Indigenous Mental Health & Addictions Outreach Worker provides outreach, consultation, and program development activities within an evidence-based and culturally-informed model of care, to First Nation, Inuit and Metis (FNIM) and Non Status youth and adults.
Integrated within existing Hospital-to-Home programs, the Outreach Worker will focus on those with mental health and/or addiction concerns who have frequent emergency department visits or inpatient stays. First Nation, Inuit and Metis (FNIM) and Non Status clients will be identified for supports in transition from the hospital to their community.
The Outreach Worker will collaborate with colleagues and community services to build capacity and promote respect, understanding, compassion and knowledge of FNIM cultural perspective.
- Provide support and advocacy, including short term transitional case management, for FNIM and Non Status mental health and addictions clients and their families within Durham Region and Scarborough.
- Develop coordinated care plans and provide appropriate referrals for clients
- Provide crisis management and linkage to crisis intervention services as needed.
- Work cooperatively as a member of the program team. Participate in team meetings and agency functions. Participate in the development, implementation and evaluation of services provided.
- Represent the agency through community outreach and everyday interactions with other community resources, i.e., hospitals, hostels.
- Diploma or degree from an accredited College or University in the Human Services field with a focus in mental health and addictions.
- Three years of related work experience specifically in a case management capacity, working in the FNIM community.
- Experience working with, and extensive knowledge of FNIM peoples, language, culture, customs and traditions, including a sound knowledge and understanding of the issues that impact on FNIM individuals and the unique dynamics that exist within their cultures.
- Individuals from the FNIM community are encouraged to apply.
Starting Wage: $26.66/Hour
Status: Full Time Permanent
Hours: Monday – Friday, 9:00am – 5:00pm; Possible Evenings and Weekends
Benefits: Pension, Health and Dental, LTD, EAP as well as Paid Sick and Vacation