Commercial Financial Controller
MNP Executive Search & Professional Recruitment
Nelson House, MB
On behalf of our client, Nisichawayasihk Cree Nation, we are seeking a Commercial Financial Controller to join their team located in Nelson House, Manitoba, about 800 kilometers north of Winnipeg and 80 kilometers west of Thompson. Nisichawayasihk Cree Nation focuses on providing education and opportunities that can help assure a positive tomorrow for their youth, families and Elders.
Reporting to the Chief Financial Officer, the Commercial Financial Controller will play a critical role in developing and implementing the financial strategy of the commercial business of the Nisichawayasihk Cree Nation (NCN). He/she will be responsible for the NCN's financial plans and policies; accounting practices, the conduct of its relationships with lending institutions and the financial community, the maintenance of its fiscal records, and the preparation of financial reports. This position involves supervision over general accounting, property accounting, internal auditing, and budgetary controls.
- Create, coordinate, and evaluate the commercial financial programs of Nisichawayasihk Cree Nation
- Administer all business units and analyze financial risks recommend effective solutions
- Establish and maintain financial reports and business plans
- Prepare financial budgets and plans and analyze various outlooks for same
- Administer business development processes and provide consultation on all new accounts
- Prepare balance sheet for various business units and ensure effectiveness of process
- Supervise account reconciliation, manage all commercial accounts and update journal units
- Oversee month-end closing of accounts, identify issues, compare with year-ago results and projections
- Manage all external fillings and prepare management reports
- Review all financial operating process and analyze results and ensure compliance with GAAP
- Determine and verify systems and process all data
- Maintain control environment for all issues
- Manage all policies and ensure compliance
- Analyze business processes and develop cost saving controls
- Provide support to the Finance Team to ensure records systems are maintained in accordance with generally accepted auditing standards, including:
- Monthly & Quarterly preparation of Finance Statements
- Management of investments and cashflow requirements
- Maintain year-end working papers and spreadsheets, and assist with preparation for any audits or independent reviews with CFO and Treasury Board
- Monthly reconciliations.
- Assist in maintaining policy and procedure documentation for complex financial and accounting issues
- Maintain current knowledge of regulatory changes and impacts on the organization's books of account
- Maintain an accurate and complete trail of supporting documentation for all financial and bookkeeping activities
- Analyze financial statements to pinpoint areas of risk and/or potential weak areas
- Engage the Finance, Executive Team, and Treasury Board around issues, trends, and changes in the operating models and operational delivery
- Performs other accounting responsibilities as necessary
Skills and Qualifications
- Minimum Bachelor’s degree in accounting, finance or a related field required
- CPA designation preferred
- 5+ years of experience in financial management
- Excellent business skills and acumen
- Experience in accounting and computerized accounting programs
- Excellent computer skills.
- Excellent communication skills both verbal and written.
- Excellent working knowledge of MS Word, SAGE Acc-Pac and Excel.
- Assertive, comfortable communicating with various types of individuals.
- Strong problem identification and problem resolution skills
- High level of critical and logical thinking, analysis, and/or reasoning to identify underlying principles, reasons, or facts.
- Ability to interpret and implement First Nations policies, procedures, and fiscal relationships with other levels of government.
- Good organizational, time management and prioritizing skills
- Effective communication skills with individuals at all levels of the organization.
new! Get jobs like this to your e-mail automatically.
Sign up for Canadajobs.com Job Alerts (in just 15 seconds!)