Communications Advisor - Volunteer in Colombia
Bogota, International Colombia
Start Date Sep – Nov 2017 (flexible)
Length of Placement 7 Months
Language Requirements Spanish, English
Open to Canadian Citizens and Permanent Residents of Canada only
The Volunteer’s Role
Support our team in Colombia to engage more people in their programming!
Cuso International aims to grow its constituency base and engage diverse audiences in Canada as well as Latin America and the Caribbean, where our work has become progressively more focused and effective. Through the use of appropriate channels, context and content, we aim to educate about our areas of concern and key development challenges, share learning, successes and best practices, elevate the voices of the communities we serve, as well as invite audiences to act or give. Cuso International also aims to effectively capture and demonstrate the impact and value of both international volunteering and working in inclusive partnerships to eradicate poverty.
As such, your role will be to support the further development and implementation of a short and medium-term country-specific communications strategy for Cuso International’s Country Program Office (CPO) in Colombia, as well as the development of high-quality, enticing and powerful communications materials (e.g. specific print and digital communications materials). You'll work closely with the CPO team and get to know and collaborate with volunteers spread out throughout the country.
As a volunteer, you will:
- Update short and medium-term country-specific communications strategy for Colombia, so it's grounded and realistic and support in developing indicators and/or benchmarks (e.g. analytics) to monitor the effectiveness of the country-specific communication strategy in Colombia.
- Support the implementation of the country-specific communications strategy in Colombia, including the delivery of communications and media training for the CPO team and other volunteers.
- Support the elaboration (e.g. by gathering information/photographs and drafting content) of two publications about Cuso International’s work in Latin America and the Caribbean. The later will include case studies, program insights and lessons learned, as well as recommendations for future policy and practice.
Essential Academic Qualifications:
Degree in communications, public relations, journalism, marketing or a similar discipline.
Essential Professional Background:
- Experience in developing and implementing communications strategies
- Strong experience in developing print, digital and social communications materials
- Good communication and interpersonal skills as well as ability to work under pressure
- Willingness and ability to conduct training sessions on effective communications
- Person with creativity, sound judgement and ability to work both independently and in a team
- Modest monthly living allowance (varies depending country)
- Accommodation while in placement
- Return airfare and visa/work permit costs
- Cost of required vaccinations, antimalarial medication and health insurance
- Pre-departure training and in-country orientation
- Travel and accommodation for reintegration debriefing weekend
- Modest support for accompanying partners and dependents going on placement with you for 12 months or longer (Return flight, emergency medical insurance, vaccinations)
- Access to Employee Assistance Program while in placement and upon return
- Cuso International assessment day (Candidates must cover the first $200 of the most cost-effective travel expenses and all accommodation costs).
- Travel and accommodation for the five-day pre-departure training course and for in-country orientation